IE7 and downloading

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ajacobs, Nov 6, 2006.

1. ajacobs

ajacobs New Member

I can't download anything with IE7. It just started doing this to me. I have no idea why. Everytime I click a direct download link, it says it can't find the site. Youtube doesn't work, all the file sites, nothing works.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Run a System Restore operation to set your computer back to before you installed IE7. Then block IE7 from installing itself. Problem solved.

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I'm running IE7 on 3 different computers with no problems. I can access any website, download any file, stream any multimedia, whatever.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

IE 7 is on part of the critical updates section.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

No problems here... Have you tried searching google on this?

6. deusexaethera

Yeah, but it's really not a critical update. I've never been a victim of any kind of browser-based attack. My computer caught the Blaster worm for a day, once, and that's it. Meanwhile, the loss of GUI flexibility is simply not worth whatever supposed security enhancements there may be.

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I agree....my point was more to the fact that MS thinks it's a critical update. In the past, these critical updates haven't caused me any problems. However, I have had major problems with some of the other "suggested" updates MS provided. In fact, we installed these "suggested" updates on one machine at work and it literally broke the OS on that system...meaning we couldn't get back to a stable state for that machine and simply had to reinstall the OS.

I've never seen that behavior with a critical update from MS tho....only from the suggested ones.

8. deusexaethera

At least MS is smart enough to bullet-proof the updates that people don't get a choice about installing.

My guess is that IE7 is more critical to MS than to its users, because it shows that MS is still in the browser game...as if they have anything to gain from it. There's so much pressure on them to adopt and support web standards nowadays that even IE7 can't really guarantee a stable market for MS' web development products.