IE will not open

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2000GT, Sep 7, 2004.

1. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

I recently installed Norton 2004 and ad-aware on my pc. The installs went fine. After rebooting my machine, I went to open internet explorer and NOTHING. I click the shortcut and the computer does nothing.
    I even found the target of the shortcut in the IE folder and was unable to open it from there?
    I get no errors, I get nothing.

I tried the Microsot Knoledge base but I could not find anything, does anyone have a solution?

2. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

bumping cause I still don't have any solutions :(

3. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

I had this same problem today, Im not really sure how I fixed it. But I had a crapload of shit running on my comp some how. Like winad.exe, robotad.exe and windl.exe, tons of other shit. Most of it was in C:/temp folder and temp internet files.

do a ctrl Alt del and find out which process are running, then post em.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Maybe Norton is preventing you from getting viruses by forcing you to use a better browser :dunno:

5. LeftRightLeft

LeftRightLeft OT Supporter

i had a similar problem

i reinstalled IE

6. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Its called spyware/adaware!! When you start IE these little parasites try to load, you ran Ad-aware and installed Norton which is causing these programs problems. Since they would rather not be detected they trap the errors.

Reinstall should fix it temporarily, cleaning up the machine will fix the problem. See sticky "Adware & Spyware - Cure for dummies"

7. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

I have reinstalled all the components (there was no virus or spyware found) and still the same thing. In fact I uninstalled IE and reinstalled it with norton and adaware removed - still nothing?!?!

8. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Go download HijackThis and post the report (Make sure you have closed all known applications). Also check all the RUNONCE and RUN keys in your registry... (The easiest way I have found to do this is to search for RunOnce and find the Run key associated with it...)

9. jiggilo

jiggilo Technics > *

It sounds like Norton is seeing you open the browser as a possible pop-up? :dunno: I would STRONGLY suggest NOT using IE and use Mozilla Firefox instead. Trust me on this it will be the best thing you have ever done for your computer, you will NOT have to worry about installing adware programs and popup blockers because mozilla firefox prevents ALL these from happening.