Idq10 .v3 Vs. 10w3 .v2

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AMan, Jul 14, 2005.

1. AMan

AMan ???????????

How do these 2 compare? I have always liked JL Audio but have been out of the scene for quite some time now. There is a lot of good talk about Image Dynamics and their subs are cheaper then JL. Please help :x:

2. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

The 10w3 will be significantly louder but it's very muddy sounding when compared to the idq10. rap/hip hop definitely the JL, practically anything else i'd get the IDQ or an ID10

3. denim

denim New Member

until the new IDQ's are out, I would try the ID

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

How do you figure? Similar power handling and linear excursion between the two. I dont see where the JL is going to make up the significant output over the IDQ. In their respective recommended sealed boxes the JL cant even muster a 1dB advantage over the IDQ assuming both are receiving equal power. In their respective recommended ported boxes the JL does about 2dB better at 50-60Hz but the IDQ does ~1dB better from ~37Hz down.

:dunno:

5. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I don't think they sound muddy at all :dunno: Maybe the V1, but not the newer ones.

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Muddy or not is very dependent on the enclosure. The original W3s did sound quite good in the proper box.

I didnt mention that before b/c I figured I should take on one argument at a time :o

7. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

I haven't heard the newest ones. I heard an older one in a sealed box and it was a whole league below my old W6 which cost about $80... i've been very happy with the SQ of the ID and IDQ series, owned about 6 of those woofers and always been happy with the clarity but output has always been lacking to me when I compare them to the JL's i've heard.

8. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

*dances*
    The box that JL makes for W3 is a good box, and I got one free. They did design the box just for that sub, so it better be good.