Idiot's buyer's guide

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Nacho, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

I'm trying to actually get my car looking good again. Right now my wheels have discoloration (stock Integra GSR wheels), and the paint in places seems rough and non-shiny on my car (white car).

I know i need the S100 wax from the harley place, but what else is *easily accessable* (ie: not ordered directly from meguires, etc) and good quality. Is the S100 paint clenser good enough to fix my car's neglected paint or do i need a swirl remover as well? I'm lost on all this car paint care stuff, help me. :o

(and yes, i read the product guide and FAQ and all i am now is more confused)

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Here's what you'll need and the steps to do it in. DISCLAIMER: I haven't seen your car, this is only based on what you've told me here.

1.) Get a claybar. Clay Magic makes a good product and it's readily available. You'll want to use that first (after washing, of course). This will remove the rough and non-shiny spots on your car's paint.

2.) You'll need to then use Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner/Polish on your paint, followed by Meguiar's Swirl Free Polish. This will remove all the contaminants from your paint, as well as any minor swirls and scratches.

3.) Follow up the polish with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #7 Polish

4.) Finish with S100 or Meguiar's Hi-Tech Yellow Wax #26 for that final protection.

As far as the wheels go, I'd polish them with the #7 and put a coat of the #26 on for protection. Sometimes simply the action of polishing and waxing painted wheels cleans stuff off that you thought was on there forever.

3. Hooli Meat

Hooli Meat i enjoy a nice set of boobs

The wheels aren't painted, they're just stock alloys.

And thanks, I'm going to check Pepboys/autozone for this stuff in a few minutes.

And do i want to wash the car with dishwashing detergent to remove the older layers of wax before claybaring? I'll assume yes.

*edit: Oops, brother's name. :o

4. Hooli Meat

Hooli Meat i enjoy a nice set of boobs

is the swirl free polish Meguiar's #9? I can't find anything else

*Again, on the borhter's SN

*edit found it, but is there anywhere to get less than a gallon of it. I think i won't quite need that much. :o

Last edited: Oct 27, 2002
  5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Nah. The 3 applications of polish (DAC/P, SFP, #7) will definately strip anything off that was on there before.

6. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

7. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

Cool, thanks.

And i found some #7 in my roomate's garage :big grin: Save some $.

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Scottish Hooligan/Nacho 169-if your paint is faded, under no circumstances should you use dishwashing soap, it will only strip even more oils out of the paint. The only reason ever to use Dishwashing soap is if you are going to use Zainos which will not adhere properly to old wax or polish other than their own (if you remove swirls for example with some Meguiars polish, you will have to Dawn wash again before using Zainos), or if you need to strip wax to paint the car.

If you do not want to order Dual Action and Swirl Free, you can substitute Fine Cut #2 and Swirl Remover #9 which you should easily find at Pep Boys. Make sure you work them into the paint until they are nearly clear and dry before buffing off so their buffered abrasives will break down completely. Use either Dual Action or #2 first, and you may have to go over your car twice to get the majority of the oxidation. Now that it is smooth and shinning again, clay the entire car. Normally, you would clay first, but you want to remove most of the oxidation so it doesn't gum up the clay bar. Then follow with either Swirl Free or #9, then #7 or the S100 paint cleanser and then wax.

9. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

Thanks alot. I'm almost done with the LONG process of all of this and the surface feels like glass now. Also, it shines really well, even in the garage lights (it got dark). After 6 hours of cleaning it's almost over. I got 1/2 of the car left to do w/ #7 and then the S100. Ugh, i needed a break.