GUN Identify this rifle

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Hops, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Hops

Hops OT Supporter

We have had this gun sitting around the house for as long as I can remember. I would like to know what it is in hopes of some day restoring it to working order.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Justin03R6

Justin03R6 New Member

I thought the Arisaka was 6.5?
    Anyway, The Chrysathemum stamp is supposed to be relatively rare. The mum was the emporer's symbol.They were mostly removed from the rifles so as not to dishoner the emporer.

3. mrbill

mrbill New Member

you are kind of correct. all soldiers(Japanese and American) were ordered to remove the stamp so that the weapon would no longer have any meaning. with the stamp, the weapon was still representative of the emporer and hence a symbol of him. destroying his symbol meant that the weapon no longer represented him and hence there was no dishonor(for the bearer) in destroying/turning it over to the allies. that is how i undertand it. if i am wrong, please feel free to correct me.

4. PNUTT

PNUTT Member

its a jap 6.5.... i have one, a "token or war" from a great uncle! bad ass hard kicking rifle!

5. Hops

Hops OT Supporter

Sorry for the delayed response, I forgot I posted tis topic :)

If I'm reading the markings right its a type 38, made at the Koishikawa Arsenal (1906-1935) and I can't tell what the series mark is, hard to see (just looks like a circle with a triangle inside it). Also has an "S" (barrel type?) stamped next to the series number mark. There's also one more marking to the right of the armory's symbol, but I can't see what it is, it doesnt match any of the other armory symbols.

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

"fair prices". i saw some going for $35 for 5 rounds on a stripper clip. granted, it was WWII era ammo, so it had some collector's value.