WEB Ideas ...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by retorq, Feb 16, 2009.

1. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

So I run this website (Drupal based) setup for a yearly event. I'm torn as to what to do with the old and "useless" content. Anyone else here run a site like this?? Basically I don't want people coming to the site searching and filling out last year's vendor app or something stupid like that, a problem that we have already had. I have forums setup with the sponsors names in each of them I don't care about blanking them all out and renaming those.

www.kingmanstreetdrags.com is the site in question.

For now I just took the old stuff that I don't need anymore off the front page ... just looking for the best approach. I gotta do a bunch of updates too and will probably loose a lot of my mods and have to start all over anyways so this might be a moot point. :mamoru:

2. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

if you have registration forms or something for an event.. just remove them (make them no longer publicly accessibly) after the registration deadline for the event

right?

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I'm sure I'm explaining it wrong .. for instance last year we had a bunch of discussion about vendors and where they wanted their spots. I don't want someone coming in this year and bumping last year's shit and causing all sorts of confusion ... follow?? I just figured someone else here ran some sort of seasonal or event specific website and had dealt with this kind of thing in the past ...

4. Finest

Finest OG #93

5. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

:rofl:

6. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I knew I should have left the Drupal part out.

7. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

there's probably a module for drupal to have expiring nodes.. or you could make a new node type for each year's event and just remove everyone's permissions to create/edit that node after the event

8. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Unpublish the node?

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Manually unpublish the nodes. That's the easiest thing to do. Or write a module that'll unpublish nodes that are older than a year.

10. Mikenotmike

Mikenotmike

separate them into a taxonomy term for each year and use views to display the front page teasers, so you can filter by taxonomy. Then you can "archive" the previous years into a little side bar block maybe?