SRS Ideas

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sassy2424, Jan 18, 2008.

1. sassy2424

sassy2424 New Member

I don't have any motivation to do anything.
    We just got a new kitty (she's about 6 months old) and the poor thing doesn't use her litter box (although the previous owner has said that she was litter trained). this results in the bf and I coming home to whatever mess anywhere in the house, its becoming disappointing to know that whatever we do (change the litter, the litter box, the spot, getting numerous litter boxes...) she doesn't want anything to do with it. Its to the point where we have to listen to scratching on the floor to run after her and make her use the litter box.

I'm also starting to associate home with all the stress, when I'm at work I'm a completely different person, I'm happy and I genuinely feel that way. however when I come home, I have to clean up whatever the mess that was left from the kitty, and then all the stress from school drops down and then I realize I have to work which results in lack of time to do anything.

I feel down all the time and I feel overwhelmed with stress when I'm at home.
    any ideas on how to pull my morale back up OT?:sadwavey:

at this point, giving the kitty up isn't an option, we want to give this kitten a real chance to have a home.

2. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Yes I have a very simple idea. Buy a cage big enough for the litter box and some space for the animal to sleep. Place the animal in the cage for a week or two. Once the animal learns to use the litter, you'll be all set.

Sometimes spraying catnip in the box works but I'd go without it first.

Also, scoop the litter two times per day. Spread urine through out the litter (Unless you have clumping litter) and scoop the hard waste into a tough plastic bag. You can leave the bag on a back step or do whatever you will to get rid of it. I keep it in a bag and fill it for awhile then double bag it and tie it off and put it in with the trash.

You have to invest some time and money into pets. Talk to your local vet as well as researching on the net what you'll need to get done if you haven't already.

3. hbrown023

hbrown023 New Member

If the kitty is peeing/pooing in one spot put tin foil where it goes to hide out and take care of business..it worked with my cat.

4. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I know that cats hate 2 things.
    Tin foil and...
    being put in a box and rolled down the stairs.

Yep. I know cats pretty darn well.

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I'm pretty sure if you put anything in a box and roll it down the stairs they're not going to be very happy.

6. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

As far as the emotional component of what you're facing, could you explain further -- beyond the cat? I'm not sure I understand what else is bringing you down.

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

The puppy still likes me, but the cat does not.

8. sassy2424

sassy2424 New Member

I feel overly stressed out. I go to school, work and then I come home to this poor kitten, that just makes me utterly depressed. it's the fact that we've tried almost everything to get this cat to use the litter box and nothing we do helps. I come home to find whatever surprise she has left me in random places (which are always right beside the litter box).
    I have a heavy school and work load this semester but its not like I can quit either of those.
    I was just wondering what other OTers do to relax during the day, you know when you have that extra 10-15 minutes between classes or breaks at work if there are any specific things that others do to just clear their mind and chill out?:hsd:

9. sassy2424

sassy2424 New Member

she usually goes right beside the litter box, and I don't want to put tin foil near the litter box as she already hates that box anyways...:hs: thanks for your input though..

10. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I meditate. Wherever I am, I sit or lay down and I consciously relax my muscles from my toes to my facial muscles -- everything from the feet up. I will flex the muscles if necessary to "feel" them, then I relax them.

I breath in and out for 5 seconds each afterwards for about 10-15 times, and within 5 mins I feel refreshed and stronger. My mind clears and I'm ready to take on more.

11. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Is it a small box or larger?

12. sassy2424

sassy2424 New Member

we currently have three, we have a bigger one, one with a hood and one thats just a normal size. it just doesn't make sense!!!!
    we've used all different sorts of litter as well, she just wont have any of it:wtc:

13. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

It's important to make sure the box fits the size of the animal. That's very important. The box should allow about 6-8 inches in all directions for the size of the animal. Smaller kittens need the smaller box.

Placing the animal in the bathroom for a couple weeks overnight or when you aren't home works too. Make sure the litter is cleared out each time it goes. It's ok to leave two, such as when not home, but preferably every time. Eventually the animal will use the box. By nature the animal will prefer covering it's waste by scrapping litter over it's waste. This will give it an incentive, and the smaller space will entice it. They don't like being near their own waste.

A cage would work best though.

14. sassy2424

sassy2424 New Member

thanks a lot for your help!:) i will try that and hopefully it works!

15. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I edited the last post.