Ideas to automate procceses

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FLY-FAST, Nov 13, 2003.

1. FLY-FAST

FLY-FAST OT Supporter

I've got this long drawn out process that our secretary goes through everyday to manually take data off of an application running on one of our Alphas... Well, I'm trying to figure out how I can run an application that will manually run all of these programs, and even email me the results through Exchange...

Any ideas?

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

You're question is a bit vague. So for a vague answer: where ever there's data, there's a way to grab it. So, there's mostlikely a solution, the trick is finding one to fit your needs...

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

What's running on the Alpha? You mean DEC/Digital/Compaq/HP Alpha right? Are you running VMS, Tru64, or Linux? Either way it is VMS or UNIX and most definitely can be automated.

For UNIX, you can essentially script what she does manually, cron it, and setup sendmail to send the uuencoded output through the mailhost which is your exhange server.

I don't have enough experience with VMS to generally tell you how, but I know it can be done. Ask one of your admins.

-crontab -l

4. FLY-FAST

FLY-FAST OT Supporter

I basically want a program to run some sort of a macro, and physically move the mouse, --> open --> select Etc.. Its running on a windows 2000 box...

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Win2k can run on alphas??? I thought NT3.51 was the last M$ OS that supports alpha's.

There are few programs that perform automated tasks like this. An expensive one is WinRunner. There are quite a few tools on download.com too, search for automated or macro.

6. FLY-FAST

FLY-FAST OT Supporter

I've got the application, a stocktracking program running on the alpha, but the UI resides on a win 2K box...

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

8. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

If the program runs on the alpha, I would assume that there must be a CLI into the program from a shell or on the alpha box too? With this you can script at this level and do whatever you want with the output. And most importantly, it's free.

9. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

macro sounds like what you want, never messed with them though

10. fob

fob Member

There is a small program called EZ Macros made by American Systems that can record your mouse movements. It is primitive, but it might get you started on what you need. I have used it on simple events. Not sure about the complexity of what you need.