Ideas on what would cause an extreme drop in blood pressure during/post-exercise?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Tard Carnival, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

My dad's blood pressure is usually around 140/90, and he is 52 years old. Since mid-July I've got him working out with me, just a standard 3-day split.

He checks his BP before and after every workout. Generally it had been around 120/80 ~10 minutes after lifting, but this past week he had a reading of 90/55. :eek4:

His doc has given him the go ahead to lift, and he's never had any issues with weakness or exhaustion, but this really worried me and he's now going to check with his doctor on this. Have any of you all heard of something like this happening? I am curious to know some possible causes, and it might be a while before he actually gets in to the doc.

2. Steve325

Steve325 Guest

I would assume that it's because of an elevated pulse rate

3. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

But 95/55 isn't healthy in any circumstances, plus his heart rate wasn't any higher than it normally is post-workout, when his BP had usually been 120/80.

4. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

how many times has his bp been this low after working out?

5. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

Once.

6. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

It's abnormal, but I don't think it's something to worry about (although, always, run it past the doctor). My mom's systolic is usually in the 90s, and they're not doing anything to change that. As for what would cause it.....just go with the catch-all - probably a parasympathetic nervous system response. :o

7. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

:rofl:

What a great way to make it sound like you're saying something meaningful to uneducated people. :o

8. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

Well, parasympathetics are responsible for vascular smooth muscle and vasodilation, which would result in a lower BP. I'm admitting that I don't know of a direct connection. :squint:

9. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

Well I know. Obviously any change in blood pressure would be a parasympathetic response. :o

10. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

Unless it was a sympathetic response. :hsugh: But I think that only raises your BP.

I think a less forceful ventricular contraction will also lower your BP. I'm just saying it could be the ANS or the heart itself. Or hypovolemia, but that's not likely the case....(unless he's been pissing a lot after a workout)

11. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

If he has, he hasn't mentioned it. :hs:

He better hurry and get to the doc. I'll be pissed at my dad if he dies of something stupid and preventable, especially if he does it working out at my suggestion and all.

12. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Maybe he should do some cardio.. improve his heart and lungs a little. Unless his doctor reccommends against it, I dont think cardio will EVER go amiss in older people.

I guess the most obvious reason might be that you did the reading wrong. But I assume that if he measures it every workout, he should be familiar with the equipment etc, but people do still make mistakes. It does seem weird that the reading should be so much lower after exercise which makes me think you may have not had the armband tight enough or in the right place.

Is that a possibility or did he try a few times and get the same reading?

13. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

He just uses one of those dinky electronic ones provided by the YMCA. You've got a good point on him possibly just not getting the cuff tight enough.

I'll try to get him to do it a few times, with different tightnesses.

14. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Good idea. Not worth panicking over one result IMO. Even if he's used it lots of times before it's still easy to get false results. Careful with the arm placement and orientation as well as the tightness of the cuff, as they all affect results.

15. Shiftknob

Shiftknob New Member

I am not SURE about your dad's condition but this will help you folks understand a bit more:

Sympathetic Nervous System (when stimulated):
    "Fight or Flight"
    Raised BP
    Raised Pulse
    Dilated bronchioles (better breathing)
    More blood flow to skeletal muscle

Parasympathetic Nervous System (when stimulated):
    "Feed or Breed"
    Slower Pulse
    Slower Respirations
    Increased Salivation

I am no expert but I know a great deal on the CNS from paramedic school and my own studies, so if anyone has some questions I'd be more than happy to help out.

16. Shiftknob

Shiftknob New Member

Dat niggah on dat 120mg Lasix pre contest :hsd:

17. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

Im interested in finding out about this too!!!! Im only 25...i got really sick in early september....i hinestly thing i got sick from eating too much spinach and got ecoli...didn't go to a doctor...just had my mom(shes a nurse) talk to the people at work to find out what i should do. But ever since then if im not feeling energetic when i go to the gym i get dizzy and light headed like all the blood is sinking out of my head at the end of my workout. If im feeling good it doesn't happen though?

I have a friend who takes medication to increase her blood pressure becasue if she runs really hard or anything like that... she gets really dizzy and sometimes faints because her blood pressure drops if she just ends her workout and doesn't cool down properly.

im wondering if something like this happened to me after my bout with that sickness(which took over 3 weeks for it to really disapear).

18. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Or you're just going to the gym on an empty or near empty stomach?

19. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

it happens some times when i haven't eaten much....but it happened when i ate a full meal like 45 min before the workout too. It isn't happening as much the longer away from when i was sick it is. So maybe my body is fixing itself as time goes on...but it still kinda freaks me out....it happened after almost every workout the first couple of weeks after i was sick. :dunno: i hope its fixing itself. :x:

20. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

which nerve carries sympathetic fibers to the lacrimal gland, eh? :naughtyd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.