SRS Ideas for x-mas?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Userdoesnotexist, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Userdoesnotexist

Userdoesnotexist awww...doggah...

I'm not sure if this topic would belong in this forum...but meh.

Anyways, I'm thinking of something to get a co-worker for this christmas.
    Normally, I don't do this type of thing, but ever since she found out that I normally don't bring food to work and eat out, she's been cooking for me every morning before she comes to work just so I don't have to eat out, and I'd feel really bad if I didn't get her anything.

So...any ideas? btw, she's 31.

2. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

Are you a guy?

If she's 31 and cooking lunch for you every day she must need a daddy for her kids.

3. Userdoesnotexist

No kids, has husband though, and she's my cousin's cousin's best friend.
    I'm not that close with my cousins, but me and her get along very well.
    I'm pretty sure she just sees me as a good friend.

4. Vixxen

Vixxen New Member

So why don't you give her a gift certificate to a restaurant or something? give her a break from cooking :dunno:

5. Sephiroth

Sephiroth New Member

...does the husband know she does this?

If everything seems to be on the up and up, and you both know you have a strictly platonic relationship, then you're probably fine. The danger here is procuring a gift that is innocuous to you, but might be "read into" on her part.

I thought about suggesting a scented candle, but that's really something you could do if you're a woman or if she is an older lady. Otherwise it might seem too sensual, unless it's a blatant Christmas smell or non-perfumy (like vanilla, jasmine, etc.). It's a slippery slope. There's also the issue of not instigating office gossip on the part of other women. Pick a scent that's too "sexy" and the ladies you work with might start talking. We women are crazy that way.

If you choose that route, go to Yankee Candle, they have a million different candles and small gifty sets that can say 'Thank you for your friendship' instead of 'I really want to sleep with you'. Because that could be bad. Personally, my vote would be for a christmasy smell or something like coffee or cookie. That Clean linen smell is good too. Just go there and smell a bunch of stuff. They have these coffee beans that you can smell, too, to clear your nose palate. Just be warned, it's a pretty smelly store. Don't go there if you have a headache.

Also, there are these little marshmallow snowmen in costumes that I've seen at Cracker Barrel, Williams-Sonoma, etc. that are really cute and funny. They're called S'Mores by Midwest of Cannon Falls. You can search their page for store locations, but they come dressed in all sorts of things. Just do a google search on the S'mores and the company name and you'll come across all sorts of examples. Cracker Barrel doesn't sell them online, but you can go to their store and usually find them there. The ones for Christmas are especially cute. They make candles and ornaments, too.

That's my "girl recommendation"--hope it helps!

6. Userdoesnotexist

I never really liked getting/receiving gift certificates...if I really had to go that route, I'd rather just give cash. same usage, but more variety. But then giving cash is just weird.

good question. never asked...

I don't think we have that store over here... Scented candles might be a little too...sensual. Verbally we're quite clear that it's plutonic with occasional jokes and stuff, but the lady that sits beside me says that her eyes say a different story...but then again, she calls every female that I'm semi-closer with at work my gf. :squint:

7. teo

teo . => ? => !

Can you cook or bake? How about returning the favor by making something she can share with her husband and family during the holiday season? It's inexpensive, personal, and an appropriate gift to return the favour. Don't forget an accompanying card that thanks her for saving your stomach and your wallet from takeout.

8. Userdoesnotexist

That's actually not a bad idea...only problem is that I can't bake...or cook anything festive. like, I can cook enough to save my life if I really need it, but nothing that's really givable, know what I mean?
    but the card idea is great. :bigthumb:

9. Vixxen

Vixxen New Member

so buy a cake or something and giver her a card.

10. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Is your mother closeby/in town? If so I bet she'd be willing to help you whip up something for your coworker...a nice casserole or main dish that is :yum:

I'd be careful though, it does sound unusual for this woman to feed you daily. We have people at my office that bring candy/snacks almost daily, but it's put out on our breakroom table for all to share, it's not for anyone personally. Once inawhile I do get a personal treat from my supervisor or another attorney, but that's very rare, and the stuff I get isn't "personal."

Just keep your guard up, but don't be a jerk.

11. Userdoesnotexist

I haven't seen my mother in well over 10 years...so that's not going to work. Don't even know where she is anymore. haha...

I guess I see what you mean...how would I find out though? should I bother to find out? we get along as friends really well right now, and I think the most that has ever happened was that she initiated a hug. Nothing more.

12. teo

teo . => ? => !

There are a few ways around that:
    1. You can find "kits" for desserts at the supermarket where you only have to add an ingredient or two (usually a liquid) and then follow the directions.
    2. There are also some *really* simple recipes out there - for example, you can buy a premade pie crust and premade pie filling, put the two together and bake it. Another simple one is shortbread... four ingredients and easy to make and bake.
    3. You can hit up a local bakery or deli and pick up one of their 'homemade' dishes.

I can't cook anything decent either (SO makes our dinners - I would eat KD week in and week out if he didn't :hsugh:) but I can most certainly bake, so I redeem myself by baking the odd thing once in a while! Maybe I should put "cooking for dummies" on my Christmas wishlist, lol. :o

13. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Sorry I didn;t know your mom hadn't been in the picture for some time :hs:

As far as "finding out" if she means more, I would just refrain from digging for info, but rather keep your guard up....make sure physical contact (ie hugs) are kept to a minimum, and just note whether she starts going more out of her way to do things for you than the norm. If you start asking other people around you what they think is going on, people will assume something is going on, rumors will swirl, then drama will ensue. She may just truly have a nuturing personality (I assume she's older etc??).

I have a ton of guy friends and will go out of my way to a certain point to help them out, but there is a limit. I am married and there are just certain boundaries you don't cross, even if the intent is harmless and you both know it....you just don't want to give people on the outside a reason to start talking.

14. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

razor blades and whiskey

15. SovietRussia

SovietRussia What? You pooped in the refrigerator? OT Supporter

:bowrofl:

16. Userdoesnotexist

I don't think she's really doing anything that's completely overboard...she cooks lunch for herself too, so it's just a matter of making a little bit more for me as well.

I think she's interested in joining when I go out drinking with my friends cuz a few nights back I went out with a few of my friends and she made a random light comment on how I didn't ask her to go.

Anyways...cat lover as well...something for the cat maybe?

17. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

That's not true at all. I used to bring in food for some of the guys at work because they wouldn't eat or they would eat absolute crap out of the machine. I am very happily married and have a daddy for my kid already, didn't need anymore. Some people simply care about others ;)

He could take care of that very easily by simply adding a card thanking her for the meals.

18. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

This comes to mind:

1. Gift certificate which is enough for her and the hubby at a nice restaurant.

2. Invite her out with the group, along with the husband.

3. Day spa coupon

What does she like? My friend likes horseback riding, so you could pay for a few hours of that kind of thing.

You could make a nice picnic basket with a bottle of wine, some cheese, sandwiches, stuff like that, and give it to them for a weekend lunch (assuming the weather is nice where you are.)

Just be creative. :)

19. teo

teo . => ? => !

Tread carefully here. You don't know what condition the relationship with her husband is in... if it's completely healthy and she's just really nice, likes you platonically and feels bad that you're eating out, that's great and you're in the clear. Unfortunately, this situation is also fairly rare as you may have gathered from some of the previous posts. This isn't usually what's actually happening the majority of the time when women single men out for special treatment. Women who are emotionally unhappy in their relationships will try to forge a more 'meaningful' bond with other men - above and beyond simple friendship - to make up whatever is lacking in their bond with their SO. This means she would be looking for you to provide something that should be provided by her husband. Sometimes it's innocuous... and sometimes it's not.

I don't need to tell you that you should avoid this at all costs, but it can be easy to misread these situations. Take the high road and restrict your contact with her to work situations only. If she wants to pursue a friendship and you're amenable, ask her and her husband out to dinner. You then get to befriend them both (and not-so-incidentally get to see what her aims are by observing how she behaves around you when her husband is present and comparing it to how she behaves around you at work). You could even work such a dinner into your gift - you want to repay their kindness, after all! (He no doubt contributes to the household food budget, so he did contribute to your lunches as well, in a way.)

I don't see any problems with a gift for her kittah. Keep it small and simple, though. A good rule of thumb for the gift is that if you wouldn't consider the gift appropriate for another co-worker, it's not appropriate for her, either.