WEB Ideas for helping a dead forum get members?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VashtaNerada, Jul 25, 2008.

1. VashtaNerada

VashtaNerada Guest

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Latiosheaven/index.php?
    Hi, this is a forum I haunt, and I was wondering how on earth we can get some more active members? We're doing a number of things, but just to warn you, I'm the sort of technitian on the forums, not the root admin, he couldn't run a small group of people in comas, let a lone a forum, so any ideas would be great.
    PS. If you feel the need to join, I'm Sora.

Anyway, we've recently got a new theme, I don't think the admin wants to get off Invisionfree, I do, but I have pretty much no say. I'm thinking about getting a domain for the forum, and we have basically no funding, so free ideas would be perfect.

2. andrey

andrey New Member

You should definitely get a domain. Pay people to post. Then advertise it. No one is going to join a dead forum that doesn't even have it's own domain.

3. VashtaNerada

VashtaNerada Guest

I've heard paying people to post is a bad idea, as they just spam for money.
    I'll talk to admin in to getting one, I'm not paying for it, it's not my forum.
    I've passed these ideas on to the admin. :big grin:

4. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

your own domain is a must

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

your own domain
    seo
    offer good content
    at first i read latinosheaven and i figured that's why people wouldn't join

6. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

7. VashtaNerada

VashtaNerada Guest

No longer doing it.
    I'll see if it's ok to change the address, but we should be getting a domain.

8. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

...I'm not being a jerk here, but why is the root admin the root admin? Does he have anything special that he brings to the community? From your post, he seems more like a hindrance than a help.

9. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

start off with a domain

10. VashtaNerada

VashtaNerada Guest

I agree with you, he does nothing to help really, but I suppose we need an admin, I prefer the other admin, Asuka, than to Matt.
    But still, I'm just a Super Mod.

11. qwop

Don't take this as gospel, because I don't know the ins and outs and/or politics of your community, but I can't really see the point of *you* investing your time in building this site.

I've built sites from the position of member...and gone from technician to eventually owning the place - and you can do it, but there's always some HUGE issues to deal with if you've got someone on board who doesn't have a clue, or who doesn't have the passion.

Personally, I'd suggest going it alone, if you think you can do it. A domain is always extremely useful, but content is king. You need to make your forum somewhere that people want to visit - and every time that they log on, there has to be NEW content. If someone logs onto a forum and there's no new posts each time they log on, they'll find somewhere else to go.

12. VashtaNerada

VashtaNerada Guest

I often do go alone at things like this, but still, it's nice to help people.

I usually ask the other admin if I can do things, as she's more understanding and understands what I am talking about.

We are now in the process of getting our own domain.

13. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

i agree with the others, no need to drive traffic till you get your own domain and hosting, and i have helped drive traffic in the past, now i prefer driving traffic to my own sites since i will benefit more from it

14. VashtaNerada

VashtaNerada Guest

An own host is impossible. 1) Matt wouldn't let me, 2) It's invisionfree, no database movement.
    We could get ad-free, but it costs, and Matt doesn'5t want to spend things on the forums.

15. qwop

I'm not saying it's not nice to help people - it's how I started off, and I wouldn't change the experiences I got from it for the world. However, you seem to be banging your head against a brick wall with this guy - and if you're having trouble now, just imagine what it's going to be like 12 months down the road, 3 years down the road, 5 years down the road...

I'd also forward think about Invisionfree - if you can't move the database now and you decide to shift to your own host, you lose 80 members. Obviously some of those will come with you (depends on activity rates). But if you build up the site and then decide to shift, you might lose hundreds or thousands. It might be better to bite the bullet now.

I think you need to have a think about motivations, really. I'm not criticising you at all, and I think it's great that you want to build up a community that you obviously enjoy being a part of - but I think there's a few issues confounding all of this.

16. Pepsi1975

then truthfully i wouldn't bother

concentrate and use your energy to create your own forum on your own domain and host and drive traffic to it

it is great you want to help, but if he doesn't want to spend money and wants to stay with invisionfree, there is no reason to waste your time driving traffic to it

17. Pepsi1975

:werd:

18. VashtaNerada

VashtaNerada Guest

Ok guys, thanks for the help, I've got a little idea for a site/forum, so I may need help with it, but I'll make a new thread.
    Thanks!

19. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

You need an av first.

Well, truth be told you need to be unbanned first.