Ideas for EMS/firefighter workout?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Didact, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Didact

Didact I have no idea what I'm doing

It's hard enough to eat well let alone stick to a normal workout routine if you're in emergency service.

Does anyone have any ideas about a split routine for someone that works a 24 hr shift every 3rd day? While I'm at work, the most I can work out is maybe some wieghtless activities -- pushups, chinups, crunches.

So like I go into work Sunday, Wed, and Sat of next week (24 on/48 off)

I was reading Arnold's Encyclopedia and I really liked the split routine where you hit the gym in the morning and night with different parts. As long as you maybe altered it to make ure you incorperated the missd days somehow, anything think that would suffice?

2. trancezj

trancezj New Member

I think your best bet would be to find a program and just keep up with what you've done. If you don't get everything in one week, make sure that's what you start with next week.

3. Didact

That's more or less how's it's been. Like if I work on chest day, then I make sure I hit it when I get off the next day -- but that of course pushes everything back. If I don't watch it I end up only hitting a group once a week

I'm really looking to double up on some days -- maybe like a small group on the mornings (shoulders, forearms?) with a larger group at night (chest or back).

4. Didact

Well yeah, I'm required to be there every third day for a 24 hr shift -- and we're not lucky enough to have any workout equipment at the station.

Typically I'm not on call on my off days

5. trancezj

trancezj New Member

we don't have any either, but I'm working on getting that changed

6. Didact

I'd be happy with a Walmart bench and some rummage sale weights

Since I graduated medic school I've gained 2 inches in my waste and my cardio is non exsistant. Gained mass through, just from lifting patients all the time.

7. brettD

brettD New Member

ask your chief if you can go to the gym and take a vehicle their while yournot doing anything i know here alot of the firefighters do that i se ethem their daily they usually take the truck their or something or the fire suv

8. Didact

Right now I'm primarily (volly for local fire) EMS, with a change to becoming a fire/medic by end of Jan.

In EMS, the closest gym is actually outside our response area so thus it's not an option. :hs:

If I'm lucky enough to pass CPAT and make it to one of the two departments I applied to, then there's a good chance I'll be able to switch to a daily routine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.