Ideas for a starter bike...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NitrousInjected, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Ok, unlike a lot of guys here, I'll actually respect your opinions so lets hear them. I've got teh patience to learn cause I don't plan to die anytime soon (life is just geting good :big grin:). So anyway, help me out. After some research I found a couple that I think might be ok, but I want the final say-so from the more experienced.

Here's one i found on cycle trader, 99' EX500. Is this too much bike?
    What kind of 1/4 times do these run stock? I don't ask cause I want to go fast, I ask because I'd rather start off a little slow.
    Also, I'm 6' in height if that matters, so I'd rather not be stuck on something that looks like a midget bike :o
    http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/6/0/51088660.htm

I've also been looking at early/mid 90s CBR 600s and Ninja 600s. Anyone have any experience with these? What's the 1/4 times like?

I want a bike that's a good starter bike, looks nice, and I'll be less likely to kill myself on. ALL input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

The EX500 would be perfect. So would a Suzuki GS500. 1/4 mile, I'm not sure. Probably low 13s, high 12s.

3. Perfect.

What do you know about the earlier ninjas & cbrs?

4. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Don't get a first generation CBR (Hurricane/F1). Go with a F2 model. It's much easier to find parts for those and later models... They are great bikes. Bulletproof (only real problem is regulator/rectifier issues).

Dunno much about the Ninjas but I think the CBR of that era was a better bike.

5. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Suzuki GS500E is the best beginner's bike ever. :)

6. This may sound bad, but I'm not really feelin the looks. It's like when shoping for your first car, you want something that looks decent. To me, the GS500 just doesn't fit the bill. I think I'm gonna look towards a hurricane (a friend had one as his first bike and enjoyed it) or the EX500.

7. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

You're going to have a very, very difficult time finding a good starter bike that looks really nice. The best part about getting a cheap, not-so-pretty bike is that you won't feel very bad when you drop it.

The first bike you buy isn't the one you should be looking to keep for years to come.

8. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

yeah, an EX500 is capable of high 13's, possible mid with a REALLY good rider, but definitely not a 12 second bike :)

9. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

EX500 will be fun for 2 weeks max.

10. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

115 degree temps in kentucky in the summer? LOL