Idea for standalone notes/calender software.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 127.0.0.1, Apr 12, 2006.

1. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I want to design up a completely standalone program that works cross platform/OS.

The idea is the same as text files, but not requiring wordpad/notepad/anything else to be installed on the computer. The program and information will be in a single file.

It's main purpose. Keeping notes, keeping tasks, a simple calender, etc.

What do you all think the best language to write this is? I do not want to use java , as it is too resource intensive and requires java sdk. I would use C, but I suck at it, VB requires framework...

So what would be the best code to write this in?

2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

For true cross-platform/cross-OS functionality, java is really the only way to go.

3. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

even though the sdk is required?

4. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Yeah. It's a simple thing to install it, and some OSes come with it already in place. Also, I'm not positive of the licensing details, but I believe you can even distribute the JRE/JVM (you don't need the SDK to run, only to develop) with your application so that no downloading is required. And if you package it as a jar file, you have your entire app in one slick little package that the user only needs to double-click to run it. :coold:

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I would advise doing a thorough analysis of what is already out there if you want this to really be novel and useful. Or is this just for fun?

People have been very succesful of late doing this type of thing in Javascript/XML... AJAX, if you will. Zimbra has the functionality you mention... and a hell of a lot more, and even includes an AJAX MVC framework if you can wade through the code and figure it out. I would actually recommend trimming Zimbra down into what you need.

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

I am a big fan of Mono. It has the capability of being cross platform for both web and a rich client stand point.

7. Shibboleth

Shibboleth teh mad Plato skillz

It sounds like you want a software version of a moleskin, right? Something to pop onto a flash drive and use when you find a computer.

If that's the case, then you could theoretically write that in an interpreted language (ruby, perl, python, etc). Just keep the interpreter for different platforms with the program.

There is no language that will work X-platform without some kind of preinstalled medium (such as an interpreter or the JRE), except perhaps HTML.

I don't know if I can offer any more advice without more info on your program. I think Peyomp has a point though, AJAX/html would gaurentee you (to some extent) platform agnostic compatability.

8. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

The main thing I want is a single file being used for the entire deal. I know there are plenty of note programs out there that work just fine, but they all require software to be installed
    That's how google does their chat addon to gmail right? ajax/html

9. Shibboleth

what's wrong with text files? it meets your criteria so far

10. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

it doesn't give any sort of template for anything other than writing sentences

11. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

christ, you fuckers are up late :noes:

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

www.zimbra.com

Take a look at what they've accomplished. The coolest thing: you mouseover an address... and it gives you a popup of yahoo maps. Just very damned impressive. You could use their AjaxTK to do what you want. There isn't much documentation though. So be warned, you have to slog through alot of code to know wtf is going on.

Yes you require a server side but... this application begs for a simple central server, since its just a text file yeah? mycalender.com or something and everyone stores it there.

Otherwise a Java app would be your best bet. Most computers have Java installed. That, or a flash applet... since if they don't have flash, it will at least have them auto-download it. But having never done much flash, there may still be a backend required?

13. Shibboleth

You don't really need a server. Javascript is a clientside language.

14. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

welcome to teh world of computa nerds.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter