IDE Port(s) / device config for upcoming computer. Help?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cleverest, Sep 10, 2007.

1. cleverest

cleverest 'Hell' is pagan nonsense

I'll be buying this card in order for me to (in addition to the single IDE port available on the new board I'm buying soon) have 3 total IDE connectors....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132004

don't need raid function on card but it's the same price as non raid....
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132005

The board I'm buying is the Asus P5n32-E Plus board.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131153

I have only 1 SATA drive...my boot drive....but I have 2 internal Hard drives that are IDE....and 3 optical drives which are ATA/IDE...so I need 3 ports instead of 1 port....

My question is, in what configuration would be most optimal connecting the devices to these ports?

I'm thinking the mainboard port will be for the hard drives (note: my boot drive is actually SATA and will be plugged into the board regardless)....so these drives are data/storage drives...which leaves the card's TWO ports for my optical drives...1 (my dvd DL writer) on a single port, 2 on the other (my read optical drives....)

Yes I have a specific reason to have 2 different optical read drives...they each are required to read (and therefore backup/rip) a particular type of media.

Advice on configuring this?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Are the drives particularly large in capacity, to where you don't want to
    have to purchase replacements?
    If not... if they are just moderate size drives, then just buy new ones.
    The Western Digital WD1600AAJS is a 160gb drive that happens to
    be one of the fastest 7,200rpm drives made.
    And they ship for $56 from newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136075&Tpk=wd1600aajs

3. cleverest

Doc,

Good advice, just trying to save money....my budget it more or less $700...with the understanding that I will be getting a top end video card a few months later...I already have the PSU, optical drives, floppy, monitor, hard drives, keyboard, mouse, speakers and sound card....if I upgraded any of those right away I suppose it would be the hard drives.

from what I recall (my computer is down at the moment...using a laptop)...I have a 200GB, 120GB and 400Gb internal....

the boot drive is currently partitioned from the 200GB, windows boot drive C: is a 20gb partition only...I use the other 180Gb for programs, etc.... the other 120GB is a storage drive for various media....the 400GB is my torrent /DL drive...

Always looking for ways to improve this setup and have more space....I REALLY like having the OS install on a small "drive" (letter) makes reinstalls and data backup/security a breeze....i can just format C and not worry about my stuff, etc...

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

5. cleverest

Thanks I've considered going with a huge drive, but I'd rather minimize my loss if a drive goes by spreading the data around....if I have everything on 1 huge drive and it suffers a mechanical failure, well...that will be tragic....vs losing maybe just my programs, or just my music/vids, but not my documents/downloads, etc...

I do need bigger hard drives though...I agree with you on that point...

6. cleverest

soon I'll probably get a RAPTOR 74GB (if not 150GB) and then use that as my boot drive and for critical demanding applications...everything else I'll just put on the bigger drives....

Alas, that won't be the set up right away though....

7. Darketernal

The amount of "important" information stored on a computer is usually relativly small , compared to the size of the more unimportant things that occupy space such as movies,music,media and what not a usb external drive might be used just to store the stuff on you don't want to lose.

In my house we do crosslinking, its a lazy form of securing data. I copy my important stuff via the network on the computer of my dad, if i crash i just reinstall the computer and copy the stuff back from my dads computer, my dad does that vice versa,its unlikely but only if both systems die simultaniously you lose everything, but that can also happen in different scenarios. If you don't have a network or extra computer you can apply that system on the external usb harddisk, it saves you a slot too,as you can use the usb for other things too when its not needed to connect it.

8. Darketernal

I have the 160 gb raptor it fricking rocks, barely no sound.

The only drawback is the heat, but its nice for in the winter to heat up your room.

9. cleverest

darketernal,

Nice....if you have cold winters! I'll figure out what to do...I don't really like cluttering my system with a bunch of drives anyways, it's just more money I can't spend on this project as it is....

10. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

About the Raptors. The 74gb one is the fastest by a bit.

As far as big drives, and spreading the data around, I agree.

But here's a good scenario for you to think of.

The WD1600AAJS is less than $60 shipped and is the next best thing
    to having your os on a Raptor, for a lot less money.

You can get the Seagate 500gb drives for $110 each.

Get an sata burner. Get the 500gb Seagate.
    Use your old 400gb drive on the ide channel.

Total cost for the Seagate and WD1600AAJS - $165
    About what one Raptor would cost you.

But yeah, I know... you have "special needs" for them two ide optical drives...

:squint:

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, but putting all his files on a single drive will constrain his transfer speed to what the one drive can handle. It's better to split the load, preferably through a RAID or a span, but completely separate disks will work too.

12. cleverest

thanks for the advice Doc, I concur with you....but I really don't like the SATA burners, not even the Pioneer seems to avoid some problems from what Iv'e read around the 'net....I really love my 111D (crossflashed to 111L) drives....plus I don't know if the 212D SATA model is worth the extra if I can just get this to work...

Regarding the optical drive choices I've commited too...it has to do with reading certain console discs....I have one for gamecube/wii games and another for xbox 360 games....flashed special for it, etc...can't really change/update those drives at this point until a newer compatible one is released for each one, which I doubt will happen....

UGH, choices and choices!