IDE on fileserver ... ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by johnnywallywallace, Dec 19, 2003.

1. my dual PII fileserver is almost complete, I need to purchase a few SCSI cables and I'm there. I also have a drive coming back from WD under warranty, replacement for a 40gb, so at least a 40gb ata/66 disk ... I don't need it in my desktop, so I'm thinking of putting using it as overflow, maybe play with IDE RAID, on the fileserver that's going to be running dual SCSI RAID 0+1 disks otherwise. as long as I keep the OS on the SCSI side of things, I won't notice too much of a performance hit except when transferring files specifically to/from the IDE disk, right?

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

As far as proformance of the entire system you won't notice much at all when writing to the IDE disk.

I have a dual pII 450 fileserver with a 180GB drive and I copy huge files to it over samba and the processor usage hardly moves.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I'd use the IDE drive for the OS, SCSI for file serving. I've done that for years on this system that is TAXED. Everything else seems to fail on the damn thing but this 20 gig IDE keeps on trucking (since it's never used).

4. hrmmmm, here's a prob ... I have ultra2 drives, and ultra and ultra wide on the motherboard ... and it looks like adapters are more expensive than I figured. it almost seems cheaper to buy an ultra2 pci card ... ?

<--- new to SCSI

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Youc ould just run them slower. Depends on what you are filesharing.