IDE for Java

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kingfisher, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Kingfisher

Kingfisher Keepin L's lit

Can someone recommend me a simple, easy-to-use, pleasing-to-the-eye, not complicated, IDE for Java? I have tried NetBeans and was scared away, and I don't liek using just notepad bcuz I like pretty colors etc... Anyways, any recommendations? :x:

2. Shibboleth

Shibboleth teh mad Plato skillz

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

4. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Eclipse FTMFW

5. Shibboleth

Shibboleth teh mad Plato skillz

yeah, I agree that eclipse rocks, but he wants "a simple, easy-to-use, pleasing-to-the-eye, not complicated.."

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Eclipse is a simple, straight forward IDE. If you don't mess with its features, it isn't complicated. It is the best IDE for Java, and you will soon find yourself growing into it and using more and more of its features to boost your productivity.

www.eclipse.org It is also neat that you can use Eclipse for any language you want with plugins. I use it for Java/Perl/C/C++/XML/UML/HTML/Javascript, all at once. It changes perspectives to accomodate each file/project. But don't worry, you won't need to worry about any of that to just use Java.

All you have to do is click file->new project, type Java and then file->new class for each class.

Try it. You'll really, really like it. It is the best FOSS IDE around, and arguably the most advanced IDE in existence. But for your purposes it is simple and easy to use.

One thing: if you are loading external libraries not in J2EE or J2SE (whichever you have), then you will need to do one thing that was the only thing that tripped me up at first. Select the top level Java project you just created at the left hand project browser. and select file->properties. Then select "add external jars" and include those external libraries that your app depends on, it any. All the standard ones will already be there.

Try Eclipse. I am an enthusiast, have written plugins for it and even done application development using the Rich Client Platform, a way to build applications from Eclipse. I think I actually have some code in an add on for Eclipse: the Graphical Editing Framework. But the bottom line is that Eclipse is a great pleasure to code Java in, and although it is simple it has advanced features that you can grow into over time to make yourself a better programmer, it is simple to use as a Java IDE right off the bat.

This btw, is the post of the day in this forum.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  7. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

8. Chau

Chau if i wanted to kill you, i would've come in here s

eclipse

9. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

eclipse ftw

10. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I'm not a fan of IDEs in general, but I really like using Eclipse for Java development. It has some really great features that make work go faster.

12. codemartinet

codemartinet lucky strikes

/agree :bowdown:

13. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Eclipse is not that easy for a beginner, or at least when I was messing with it about a year after it went OSS, so I could be completely wrong in the 5-6 years since, it may be easy if you know what you are doing. IntelliJ is easy and has some great features. I usually use free software or "free" software unless there is a really good reason to pay. I am a believer in IntelliJ, and almost everyone at my company (a whopping 200 people) use IntelliJ, with a few Eclipse users mixed in.