IDE Controller/Power Supply question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrburner, Aug 2, 2004.

1. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

I currently have 2 hard drives and 2 cd drives installed on my computer. the cd drives are hooked to the motherboard ide slot 2 and the ide card has both of my hard drives hooked upto it...i just purchased a dual layer dvd-rw drive and tried to install it on the second slot on the ide card (since the hard drives are just connected to one slot on a ide cable that supports 2 drives)...when the computer reads the drive, it takes a decent amount of time (the ide card detcts the hard drives instantly but this takes at least a good 5-10 seconds more) and when i get to the windows xp screen (with the blue progress bar on the bottom) it totally freezes up

i'm thinking it could be a power supply as i tried every jumper setting with the same result...my power supply is 350W and came w/ my case

is my assumption correct that this could be caused by the power supply? any other possibilities? right now i unhooked my cd-rw drive (the slave cd drive) and hooked the dvd-rw drive into its place and it works fine

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I believe some PCI IDE cards don't support anything but hard drive. I seem to remember reading that in the manual to a card I bought once. If I were you, I'd cable your drives as follows:

Motherboard IDE1: DVD burner (master)
    Motherboard IDE2: CD-RW (master) + 2nd CD drive (slave)

PCI card IDE1: Boot hard drive (master)
    PCI card IDE2: 2nd hard disk (master)

Having two hard drives on the same IDE cable will hurt performance.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I wouldn't put both CD drives on the same channel, as doing so makes burning from CD-to-CD on-the-fly very very slow.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Actually I've built systems like that and had no problem doing CD to CD copies with both drives on the same channel. Modern drives with DMA are quite a bit better than they were back in the 4x drive days. Its better then sticking a CD on a channel with a hard drive and hurting your hard drive performance every time you access the CD. He's got 5 IDE devices and 4 channels. Where would you put the 2nd CD? Besices, he could always use the DVD burner as either a CD reader or writer when duplicating CDs if performace was an issue for his machine.

5. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

thanks guys, i'll give all that a try tomorrow

but you don't think it's my power supply? i've just been constantly wondering about the power supply because

1) i got a new fan and after plugging it in, my system would freeze up a lot and i would hear like half shutdown sounds coming from my case
    2) i still hear those sounds once in awhile and i have that other fan unplugged

should i go ahead and purchase a nice new power supply or are these problems related to something else?

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

When I initially setup my system last year, I had this problem, even with a 56x reader and 52x burner. Both on the same channel, it was slow as shit copying, put the reader on the same channel as the HD and it's pretty quick now. I'd probably put the CD reader on the same channel as one of the HDs as a slave. However, it's true that he could use the DVD burner as the read drive when copying and it would be fine.