IDE Controller for G3

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5SpeedSER, Apr 13, 2008.

1. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Well some of you may know the G3 B&W really lacks in the IDE department. I thought id see if anyone knows if this ide controller will work for the G3....

Its a PROMISE ULTRA100 ATA/100 PCI CONTROLLER
    [​IMG]

2. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

no idea. Its hit and miss with third party stuff unless it specifies compatibility. Try sticking it in, worse that can happen is it won t be recognized.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

The Sonnet and ACARD are the only ones I know work well with the G3/G4s. I got my Sonnet card a couple years ago for like $30 on eBay from some guy that had a bunch of them (they were going for $99 at the time). I've also seen stuff about getting the Windows version of the ACARD controller and flashing it along with some soldering work (I have the PDF files and stuff if you'd like). I'd just stick with the Sonnet card as it seems to be the best bet.

4. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

yeah i tried 2 promise cards tonight with no luck... guess ill pick up a sonnet card after pay day.

5. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

the bitch of it is that the Sonnet cards that retail for $80 are the same fucking thing as the IDE cards that Maxtor used to give away for free with 200 GB drives, back before 48-bit ATA addressing was standard on motherboards... the only difference was the firmware flashed into the card :mad:

on the flipside though, if you could get a free card that was flashable, you could download the sonnet firmware update and flash the card into a mac-compatible one.

6. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I have a PC ATA card laying around. Never tried it in my G4 tower though. This Sonnet card has been working well for the past 3-4 years. Got 6 internal drives.

7. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

if the board layout is identical to the sonnet one, you might want to try flashing it someday and see what happens :dunno: the flash tool might be OS 9 only though, at least it was back when I did mine

8. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

hmm I wonder if my promise card is flashable. Got a edu on that?

9. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

not really. you have to start by finding a picture of a sonnet card and seeing if all the chips and the layout, etc. look identical to that card. then you need to go to sonnet's support site and find their firmware update utility for the card and try it out on the PC card.

edit: and I just looked, they don't sell the card that matches the one I was talking about anymore. :dunno: chances of this working out nowadays are probably slim.

10. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

yeah I've given up on it. Gonna order a sonnet card eventually.