IDE Cables Burned Out?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Twinsen, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Twinsen

Twinsen OT Supporter

I think my IDE cables managed to burn-out somehow the other day when I slightly nudged one of my exposed HDDs. Would this cause my HDDs to be fried as well? Currently when trying to boot up, it gives HDD errors like no HDD is connected. Tried to re-install Windows, and didn't detect any HDDs connected. So I'm going to try replacing the IDE cables (they still power up), the question is should I replace them with the ones that came with my rig, or go with these round ones?

Round Rubber that came with...
    [​IMG]

Round Clear ones...
    [​IMG]

Hate to go to Best Buy, or anywhere local really cause prices suck, but I'd like to get my computer back running ASAP...

2. keleko

keleko yes, he is

ide cables, do not "burn out"

ever

and if they did, it's guarenteed your mobo is fried, as well as ram, cpu and anything attached to it

more likely, your hdd is dead/dying, though a broken wire in a cable could cause problems as well

replacing them is cheap, it won't matter what brand or style

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have seen IDE cables go bad, so that can happen. And brand/style does matter. AVOID the round ones. They're bad. Also, watch the length... Shortest that will make the distance is best.

4. Twinsen

Twinsen OT Supporter

I'll just stop by Best Buy on my way home and pick up an IDE cable and see what happens. :dunno:

5. keleko

keleko yes, he is

they can get breaks, but like i said, they don't just "go bad"

brand/style DO NOT MATTER
    trust me on this, i've dealt with all of them in one way or another

there's nothing wrong with the round ones, i use them in my main pc

just be sure that they're 80-pin and not 40
    THAT will make a difference

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have built single machines with more power than all of your builds, cummulatively.

Run some transfers between generic cables and good cables, and the good cables will transfer faster, and with fewer errors. The round cables fucking suck. Some are better than others, but a good flat ribbon will be a round, any day. Typical colored round horseshit cables will kill transfer rates and have rediculously high error rates.

I'm glad you use them in your main pc. That doesn't make them better than ribbons. It does mean you wasted money.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I dunno Jolly, I use the round ones in several computers and they work fine. In fact, one computer I built depends on the round cables' extra flexibility to make it possible to mount the drives. (There really wasn't any other practical way to mount the drives, I looked.) Up until I replaced my IDE drive with the SATA RAID that I love to sing about, the computer with the round cables routinely had better HDD benchmarks than my machine. Granted, that doesn't account for the different chipsets the two machines had, but I suspect the increased error rate would have had a noticeable impact on the machine using the round cables, had such an increased error rate actually existed.

For what it's worth, the ones I bought had twisted-pair wires that made sure every data wire had a ground wire twined with it. I can find out the brand, if it makes any difference.

For this guy, though, it would be best to just test his drives with whatever spare cables he has on hand before buying anything, be it flat or rounded.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

twisted pair would probably negate the higher error-rates. The problem with most round cables are:

a) they make them too long. For example, 18" is about the max. 24" cables are outside of spec.
    b) without twisted pair (which does a good job with noise cancelation) the wires will induce current in adjacent wires that is not acceptable. An 80pin ribbon has every-other wire as a ground so that it provides good grounding and seperation of signal-carrying wires. TP would provide a similar effect. However, a standard "bundle" approach is not effective. Notice my original post mentions that BRAND matters and LENGTH matters.

9. deusexaethera

Yeah, I used 12" cables. And yeah, just chopping up the ribbon into sub-ribbons and binding them together won't do any good because the alternating data-ground-data pattern that ribbon cables use won't do any good if two data wires on separate sub-ribbons get close to each other.

Then again, it could be argued that burst-transfer rates are meaningless for most users, but now I'm just talking out of my ass.

EDIT: I just took a look at the cables and they're definitely twisted-pair, and moreover the wires are all the same length too -- they didn't trim the wires that would stick out a little bit in the center of each fanout where the wires pass through the connector plugs. The name on the silicone casing is "Skycable", but I doubt you'd ever find that by brand name online. I bought them at www.3dcool.com.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  10. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

:werd:
    I've had horrible luck with round cables, mostly with my scsi gear. From what I've read, there isn't an actual certified spec for a round cable for scsi which probably explains the bad luck I've had. But I've also had a couple of round ide cables that made my burners flake out a lot.

11. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Twisted pair doesnt do much without a balanced signal and its not in this case.

A better chipset would make a much larger impact on performance than the cable.

12. keleko

keleko yes, he is

:dunno:

i've never had a problem, and i've even pulled rounded SCSI cables out of decade-old servers (compaqa, with compaq tags and part numbers on 'em)

13. Doc Brown

Damn, I wish I had that luck. Come to think of it, I even had bad luck with normal flat scsi cables so maybe it was more of a scsi thing. And that was across three different motherboards, multiple terminators, and quite a few hard drives. I'm quite certain it wasn't a hardware issue.
    Ironically, the most stable cables I used were round external scsi cables. But those cables are extremely beefy compared to internal ones.

All that said, it is very possible that I just happened across very cheap brands, as I bought most of my scsi cables off of ebay.

14. deusexaethera

Uh, yeah, eBay isn't known for selling the best-quality stuff, and when it does, the bids usually push the prices near where you'd expect to pay for it retail, at least these days.

15. Doc Brown

Well I try to bid on larger company pieces parts, so at least I can expect some fair quality.
    I should round up all my scsi cables and take a pic. You'd laugh at how many I've gone through, between 50pin narrow cables, and 68pin cables.

16. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have a round ide cable that will show up as "non 80 pin ata cable" in one computer, but works fine at ata133 speed in another computer, who knows

17. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

18. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

I toasted an ide cable once when i didnt plug a 2.5" adapter in properly. a few of the conductors obviously sunk as much current as the could, because the cable was melted and split in two. The smoke was a dead give away.

The HD was dead, mobo was fine.