I'd like to put together a server for the house.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

If anyone could give me advice I'd appreciate it. I know I can grab an old case, throw in what it needs and hook up some HD's but some input would be helpful if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'd like it to be small form factor I can throw in the closet and forget about that won't get hot, and draw very little power. Any thoughts?

2. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

What's your budget? How much shit do you have to store?

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

mine is an e2200 with 2gb ram on an xfx mobo. has onboard everything, but i have a gigabit card in there because the onboard lan was acting flaky. the cpu runs really cool, i can touch the heatsink and it is barely warm, the fan is decently quiet - its a thermaltake heatpipe. i reused an old case, i really wanted something smaller, but this seems to work well with the heat and swapping out drives if needed.
    it runs 24/7, i think i have the drives spin down after a little while...i never have the system go on standby because it seeds torrents all the time.

i have the system installed on a 10gb drive that is in a caddy tray, it has 2 fans in the tray to keep the drive cool. i have a 400gb drive(tivo backup), a 300gb drive(misc backup), and 1tb drive(shows and movies).
    all 3 of the drives have a fan blowing across them. i also have a dvdrw drive.
    as for a backup, i have 2 500gb external drives and 300gb external drive (i need to replace these soon)
    everything is on a ups, including my dsl modem and router.

i'm really happy with the power of the e2200. depending on your needs, you could probably even get by with something really low, like an amd sempron.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I'm going to need a new MB b/c the one I have does not have SATA. I'd like to keep the whole project under 100$ but don't how this could be possible. I have no problem buying used, but buying a new MB means new CPU and RAM also. So MB/CPU/RAM for under 100$ even used is stretching it. I 'll see what I can do. Maybe someone can tell me what's the slowest CPU I can be looking at for this thing. IT will be a file server only. I will not need to be spooled up all the time but will be used every day to store information on and watch movies/shows from. I have never looked at raid setups. I've heard of them ad-nauseum by others but have never taken the time to find out the particulars. I will probably be doing a raid setup on the machine in the future also. If that plays a part then that must be kept in mind. In hindsight maybe 100$ is a little low. Lets say 150$. Fans/ battery backups/ etc. I can get very cheaply so those are not a problem the main goal is to put something together that will have flexibility and stability. From what was posted earlier maybe an aftermarket cpu cooler would be a good idea. I'll look into that too. I thought maybe someone would have some suggestion for an OS also. What would be best? Linux? ubantu?

5. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I'm actually working on my server right now. It's a dual AMD 2600+ with 2GB ECC RAM and a 200GB hard drive. I'm installing Gentoo on it right now, but I'm using mine for a web server and file server for my house. I plan on adding 2x1TB hard drives soon to store HD content. Mine is an actual 3U rack mountable server, though. It's pretty loud. I got the server for free, so I can't complain. I've also got a few more servers kicking around, too that I need to put to use

6. dorkultra

if you want to do a raid in the future, plan on spending more money. obviously you can do a software raid, but it usually crap. most people will agree that an onboard raid could also be crap. usually you have to shell out some real cash for a decent raid card.

7. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

8. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Buy the cheapest mobo, CPU, ram you can find really. As they won't be the bottleneck. I'm using some POS Sempr0n and some ECS AM2 GF6100 board, which was sub-$50 for the combo.

I don't know if you are just using a bunch of spare drives, but if you want something with fault tolerance I would definitely also suggest some sort of RAID card.

Grab a Dell Perc 5/i, and some cheap ass Nvidia 6100 chipset board (integrated video + PCIe 16x for RAID card). And your set.

9. r00tman

r00tman Archiver of LOLs

Build yourself a mini-ITX based home server. Then slap either FreeNAS or Windows Home Server on that shit.
    You can find great parts for this project at NCIX.com.....i'm actually building myself one as well.

10. dorkultra

that little mini-itx atom board is cool and priced right, but is somewhat lacking when it comes to expandability

11. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Yea, I have a case. Not going to throw money away on that since the thing will be in the closet. Wasn't thinking before. As far as expandability. I'd need it to have AT LEAST 4 sata 3.0 ports on it. Preferably 6. Since raid cards are so expensive I'll do a software-type raid setup whatever that is. (REALLY need to look into this) I actually have both an intel chip and a amd chip that are both on bad boards. Both are older though. 3.0ghz intel and an old AMD don't know the socket type of either. Both would work though if I could find boards that support them with sata.

12. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

do you encode video with your little setup at all? ive been thinking of just building a little side server computer but i want one that can encode video also

13. dorkultra

i leave most of the transcoding/encoding to my macbook and my hackintosh (which also is an e2200 with a gigabyte mobo running os x leopard)

i do lots of dvd ripping and burning with my server. also, i take shows off of my tivo and strip off the drm to make them an mpeg, then i send it over to my hackintosh to deinterlace and transcode to an xvid

as far as dvd encoding goes, i've had some impressive results:

analysing iso with minimal compression
    [​IMG]

analysing iso with high compression (75% in dvd shrink)
    [​IMG]

encoding iso with minimal compression
    [​IMG]

encoding iso with high compression (75% in dvd shrink)
    [​IMG]

14. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

FWIW if you decide to go with a Perc5/i, buy SATA drives made for running in a RAID array (WD RE3 or Seagate ES.2). I've spent way too much time fighting with a 7200.11 drive that keeps getting marked offline by the controller even though there is nothing wrong with it. I RMA'd it and same thing all over again. I have 4 ES.2 drives that have been running flawlessly.