MIL Id join the army if they offered me $20k cash sign on bonus or w/e would you?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 2FWNC, Oct 11, 2005.

1. 2FWNC

2FWNC I'm a little bit special

Not just for the money, but with that kind of bonus, who wouldn't join?

2. evan2

evan2 Guest

money isnt everything, I didnt get nothing when I joined the AF.. yea i could have joined for 6 years, though at the tiem I thought I was going to just do 4
    i should have becuase I would of came in with e3 on and not e1.. prob be a tech by now

e6 that is..

i did get 18k tax free when I re enlisted though.. so they owe me about 5k more of it over the next 2 years
    i get a check every june for it...

the army life isnt the best so 20k isnt everything plus they tax the crap out of it.. my bonus was tax free because I was in saudi when I re enlisted..

3. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

The only bankable asset the Marine Corps has is that we can legally lord over the fact that we're awesome to everyone in the military. My monthly statement of kickassitude impresses the girls more so than cash.

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

I was expecting the quality of life in the Air Force to be drastically better than the Army, but in reality there is little or no difference between the Air Force life and the Army life if you compare jobs. Ground combat units in the Air Force live basically the same way as ground combat units in the Army. Army fliers are treated the same as Air Force fliers. Admin people are worthless regardless of what service you look at.

You are being misleading by saying that the Army taxes the shit out of bonuses yet you got yours tax free. Every service us taxed at the same rate, and ss long as you reenlist in a tax free zone your bonus will be tax free regardless of which service you are in.

5. Dzl

Dzl New Member

:rofl:

6. eter

eter New Member

well this doctor on my course last summer, actually a 2nd year pre med student, recieved a 40 k bonus and has a starting pay of 3.5k per month (about triple the rest of ours)... makes more than most our instructors did, heh.

7. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

"I was expecting the quality of life in the Air Force to be drastically better than the Army, but in reality there is little or no difference between the Air Force life and the Army life if you compare jobs."

Okay, one quick story...

TDY with C-130's to Normandy

Army gets 3.00 per diem
    We got 97.00

Army stayed in a gym
    Air Force stayed in a hotel

Army ate MRE's
    Air Force ate out

I'd consider that a pretty decent quality of life.

8. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

:goyou:

9. brackac

Every TDY/deployment/situation is different. There are times where the AF quality of life is drastically better, and there are times where it is not. My Squadron just came back from New Orleans were they were moved out of buildings and into tents so that the Army could move into the buildings. They were eating MRE's until the Army provided hot meals. There are also places in Iraq were the AF is in tents and the Army lives in trailers and vice versa.

I don't want anyone to take this as me badmouthing the AF. There are situations where the AF has a better quality of life, but from my experience overall there is not that much of a difference between the services.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  10. Mr. Literal

Mr. Literal New Member

Isnt it like a 10k sign on bonus now for the reserves?

11. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

The AF gets substandard living pay if they have to live in Army barracks... The AF gets 4-6 month deployments to Iraq. The Army gets 12-18 months. The dining facilities on Fort Bragg are adequate to live. The Pope AFB dining facility has a plasma TV and smokin' food. Think about it. I should have listened to my mother and joined the air force. Plus the women are much better looking.

12. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

And yes, the shittier the job, the higher the bonus. So I wouldn't bother with those high bonuses unless you're a real moron and can't be anything other than a cook or a truck driver. And I can personally say, NEVER SIGN A 6 YEAR CONTRACT.

13. brackac

I don't see the length of deployments to be a negative. Why did you join the military if you don't want to deploy? A plasma TV in the chow hall does not make for a better quality of life. Lastly, DOD has the same contractor for food supply in chow halls.

14. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

I tell you what I see. The DFACs aren't really a problem as when I'm in garrison I just ride my bike over to Pope AFB... But the deployments are. 4 months with 3 years off in the AF is much better than the armys policy of up to 18 months w/ 9 months in between. I know people that have been in for 3 and a half years and have been deployed for 2 of them. I just don't see that as being fair. I know too many people that have gotten divorced because the army won't let them be around for their familys. Yes, I joined up to serve the country, but they country has certainly screwed several of my friends. Not me, but it's just an observation. And I certainly am not going to talk shit about the Air Force... W/o them our mission at Fort Bragg would be impossible.

15. brackac

You have been given some bad information. :rofl: The Air Force deploys units in a 20 month cycle. Within that 20 month cycle the unit is deployable for 4 months. This of course is a best case scenario, and due to todays OPTEMPO it's rarely possible. I know people that have been deployed 5+ times in 4 years, and at a minimum you do 4 months every 12 months in my unit. I also have friends in the Army that have not been deployed to Iraq, and have not left CONUS in 4+ years. Like I said, each situation is different.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  16. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Longer length deployments can suck, depending on your MOS and where you end up spending your deployment. Like Brackac said, your mileage may be different, but my AF son will be coming home any day now, after a little over 4 months in a fairly nice airbase in Iraq, while my Army son will be coming home sometime next year after 12-18 months in one of the most contested areas of Iraq.

If you joined for the chance to personally get as much payback from the bastards that supported the 9/11 attacks as possible, go Army with a combat arms MOS. If you want your payback in smaller but potentially more spicy bites, go Marine with a similar MOS.

17. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

Airborne Infantry... Get an 82nd Contract...

18. RibeyeAndScotch

RibeyeAndScotch OT Supporter

I was surprised when I got a 15k signing bonus for infantry. 4 years 18 weeks, 11x MOS.

19. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

marine combat engineers do the same work as the army engineers while having less training time as well as shittier equipment. i had to buy my own army 5 series manuals since we don't get issued anything else otherwise and i don't get to wear a spiffy castle on my gear i can still say being a marine combat engineer is better in getting payback considering the marines have control of a lot more grounds in iraq

that's my little oorah moment.

20. Accord

Accord New Member

:bowdown: :rofl:

21. Accord

Accord New Member

:eek4:

22. gookarachie

gookarachie New Member

I haven't even asked about a bonus. I am reenlisting because I love it.

23. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Marines definitely get their payback in spicy chunks. Shorter duration deployments, but definitely intense (for combat arms jobs).

24. Capitals

Capitals Guest

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think that's the only reason we hold on to it so tight. :mamoru:

25. evan2

evan2 Guest

When did I Say the army taxes your bonus and the af doesnt ? i said it would be taxed becuase i highly doubt you are going to join the us army in a tax free zone.. duh

i said i got mine becuase i was in a tax free zone .. of course its going to be tax free for anyone
    funny story this dude on this other forum says hes been a marine for 7 years and said something like yea them damn air force guys get paid more then us

i was like lol

Brack i know you love the support the army but man please its no comparison.. job is a job

i said quality of life.. not quality of jobs

i went to tech school on an army post, the food was horrible and i mean horrible..af food isnt the best but far better

ive been deployed with all sorts of brances from all over the world.. they all say they the same thing
    i love being deployed to an AFB.. the food is great and you guys live like kings

now i dont know about this kings shit but we do get a good QOL..its a known fact

i worked with a army admin chick.. she was worthless..and one marine who was toolazy to help us move some furniture becuase we are the stupid af though always loved the af chow hall and per diem he was getting becuase the usmc though he was in a bare base location.. something lik 70 bucks a day

fuckers

the navy.. well dont let me get started one navy e7 though he ruled the world becuase he was a chief petty officer

newsflash you dont flaunt being a chief to people when you are surrounded by airforce people with 140 cols, 6 general officers and lord knows what else
    we tried to tell him to chill but he didnt listen saying im a chief blahblahblah.. i was like out e7s dont run around sayimg im your MASTER SEARGENT.. im your masterrrr