iCal, Address Book, and Birthdays...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Mar 2, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I've been organizing things and finally using the address book and iCal.

I'm wondering how you guys handle birthdays in iCal. Do you put them in the address book or manually enter them in iCal?

I wish address book had a way to make an entry for a family. Put each persons name and birthday on one card.

2. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

For the family thing; why not just create a "group" for each of the families?

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Add bithdays to address book, turn on birthday calendar in iCal :bowdown:

[​IMG]

4. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

very nice.

5. verbal

verbal Active Member

Right, but how do you handle family's that share an address and phone number?

For example, my Godparents. I have one address book entry since they share a phone number, email, and physical address. Another example is my Niece, her husband, and two kids. I can only put one birthday on the card. It seems silly to make an address book entry just for a birthday.

It'd be sweet if you could have family address entries. Multiple names with a birthday for each name.

6. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

In that case you need to enter them in the calendar manually. You can make them repeat every year so it's just a matter of entering everything once.

7. verbal

verbal Active Member

Yeah, I guess that's the only option. It would be nice being able to look up a birthday when needed.

I'm still torn by which route to take.

8. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Good Call, I think I'd just add the birthdays in manually into iCal, and just make sure you make a backup of your calendars if you ever get a new computer. :dunno:

9. verbal

verbal Active Member

Is there a way to search events in iCal? It would be cool to still be able to look up a birthday when needed. I'm too lazy to check right now.

10. verbal

verbal Active Member

I just thought of an idea-- you can make catagories in Address Book.

I could make seperate cards for everyone and put them in a 'birthdays only' catagory. Hmmm...

11. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Seems like that would clutter your Address Book with lots of extra entries. If you have an iPhone you would have to create groups and put everyone of the contacts that aren't the birthday entries into the group then set iTunes to sync just that group so you don't have contacts on your iPhone for every one of those birthday only entries. I'd just create another calendar in iCal and throw all your b-days in there and call it a day.

12. verbal

verbal Active Member

I did make a bday calendar. Is there any way to show all calendar entries in a specific calendar? Couldn't find a way.

I'd just like a way to look up a birthday easily if I need to. The address book way makes that possible. I don't think I can search in iCal-- especially the iPhone iCal.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  13. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

When you type the search in the box it should show all results for that in iCal. When I type in "birthday" I get a list of all the names of events and the dates for the next 2 years or so showing.