iBook Vs. Powerbook

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by itsallaboutvegas, Mar 7, 2005.

1. itsallaboutvegas

itsallaboutvegas New Member

Hi all just have a question. I am very adamant about purchasing a laptop very soon. I just have a few concerns....I am in a bind between the ibook and the powerbook. I am a business student and have no use for graphics and arts; I am just looking for something that can help me in everyday business applications, surfing the web, word documents, watching movies, etc. I love the look of the powerbooks, they are so neat yet so expensive. I have my eyes set on a basic 12" ibook, but am wondering if spending that extra few hundrerd dollars would be worth getting the powerbook. Can someone please outline the unobvious differences. I have never owned a laptop before and don't want to buy the ibook, spend a grand and then be limited to many things the powerbook could easily do. I stumbled upon this forum and it seems quite helpful, so please help me in this dilemma.

Thankyou

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

for the lack of a better explaination, the powerbook is more powerful in processing than the ibook. again, i don't have much to back that up except that my ex's g3 ibook (approx. 750mhz) was slower in individual processing than my g3 powerbook (400mhz).

3. Yah, anmd my g4 powerbook is faster then my old g3 ibook. i think they use beter procesing aplications and the like in hte g4s and powerbooks

4. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

go with a 15" powerbook the larger screen and higher resolution. you will be able to view more content on a web page or as you are writing a documnet

5. sophos

sophos Guest

If that's all you're gonna be doing with your laptop, then get an iBook and save a few hundred bucks.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ibook == flimsy construction

pbook == strong construction

If you actually use your notebook as it's intended, then you need the powerbook... The ibook flexes and it's build quality falls far short of the powerbook.

7. POScar

POScar Believe in OFFTOPIC

I have the 14" iBook and I love it. I'll admit it's not the fastest computer ever but it's fast enough to type up a paper, use excel, surf the web, watch a movie, and do some minor stuff in photoshop.

Games run kinda slow but I bought it knowing I wouldn't play much games on it. It serves it's purpose. Be sure to goto the education link from www.appple.com/store to see if you can get a student discount.

8. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

What is your budget like?

If I were you, I would go with iBook.

Personally, I own 12 inch PowerBook. But again, I use it for some photoshop and desktop publishing (InDesign or Quark Express) as well...

9. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

I would go with the ibook, but if I were you, I'd consider getting a larger laptop. I myself bought the 12" ibook and have lived to complain about the small screen size. I don't know whether or not you'll be carting your laptop around with you, but even the 14" is very portable and light (and fits on your lap better).

I estimate that I'll probably get a new laptop probably this summer since my computer demands have since increased. Hopefully the new powerbooks will be out by then :x: Does anyone know anything about that?

10. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

they just came out with new powerbooks a few weeks ago.

11. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

iBook seems like it would be the best for your situation. I would pick up the 12". :bigthumb:

12. itsallaboutvegas

itsallaboutvegas New Member

Went to check out a few lappies last night. I do really like the 12" powerbooks, but the screen real estate is quite small. Although I have no complaints i'm sure after awhile they may begin to arise. Then again if I am going a little larger I may as well hit the 15" powerbook as opposed to the 14" iBook, due to its widescreen which is pretty nice. Price does play a role as well, I mean saving a few hundred is big, but I guess I should think about the long term and what I am going to be most satisfied with, since I figure I'll be keeping it for quite awhile. Man Im very confused, but thanks anyhow for everyone's input.

13. t0tz

t0tz New Member

my sister bought a 12 inch ibook about a week ago. your needs and hers are basically identical as far as what the laptop can do. the ibook does everything that fullfills her student needs. i myself, purchased a powerbook mainly because i do graphic design and some video editing.

ibook = decent power. perfect for school duties. plays mp3's, movies, burn cds. some photoshop etc...

pbook = more power, perfect for image/video editing. does everything what the ibook does and more. superdrive option allows you to burn your own movie and backup files and purchased hollywood movies.

14. TurboDerek

like i said the lower resolution and screen size on a 12" powerbook makes things hard sometimes. I'll us OT as a example lots of time people post 1024x768 photos. the problem is you can't see the whole picture unless you scroll to the right. Other times when you want to view two windows at once the lower resolution sucks. If you are going to use a 12" PB with a external monitor, keyboard and mouse 90% of the time and only need a portable 10% just to travel it's great.

15. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Also, on the 14in iBooks I believe the resolution is the same as the 12in, 1024x768, so you won't be gaining anything with the 14.

16. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

Is that all they were planning on doing? I was kind of expecting some sort of major revision to come about later on in the year :dunno:

17. TurboDerek

the 14" & 12" ibook are the same except for display size. The new powerbooks 15"& 17" can run a 30" display, optical in/out for sound, and motion detection at the HD

18. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

My friend got one, and I love it. 12in iBook 1.2 512mb RAM. I like my 15in better though, bigger screen and all.

19. asshole

asshole dont eat yellow snow! OT Supporter

personally i have a 17" PB but i tell everyone to get ibooks since they are basically the same guts and a hell of a lot cheaper. Only reason i got mine is i got a deal on it.

20. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

again, I prefer the powerbook over the ibook. if at anytime you plan on running apps like photoshop, etc., you'd be better of getting the powerbook to begin with.

21. Mizzark

Mizzark OT Supporter

15" Powerbook... woot!!! :bigthumb:

22. I'd go for the PowerBook, it's faster and it has more features. And, allegedly, the metal can't get scratched, so it is a strong computer.

23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I dropped my 12" iBook G4 from 5 feet like three times, and it had no problem with that. Its not flimsy.

Still, get the Powerbook. The bus on the iBook is teh suck, and you really notice this when running alot of applications.

24. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

ibooks feel so cheap. I wouldn't buy a powerbook or an ibook though, g4 processors are just too damn slow.