iBook problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bob Dole, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Bob Dole

Bob Dole I need to push one out.

iBook 3g

Thing will turn on and I can hear it but screen stays black.

I've tried connecting a VGA monitor with a cable he gave me but it wont display on the monitor.

2. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE A FAILED LOGIC BOARD AND YOUR OUT OF APPLE'S EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR THIER FUCK UP.

sry, But I had the same shit happen to me with my iBook G3 900. I sent it in 3 times for logic board replacements. At the 4th, I gave up, bought a macbook. The problem stems from graphics chip resting above the hard drive (Major heat) and faulty solder balls used in soldering the graphics chip to the logic board.

you have four options:

1. send it to apple and pay 1000 for both the replacement logic board & time it takes to repair. all you get is a repaired logic board that will fail too.

2. Shop around and see if you can buy a logic board on the cheap. But odds are it will fail soon too.

3. Try to repair the logic board yourself. I saw someone post a video of him repairing his, but in my opinion its not worth the time and effort

4. buy a new Macbook and sell the iBook for parts

3. Bob Dole

Thanks that's what I figured :(

1. waste of money IMO
    2. also becuase a few google searched said the serial number I have are defected
    3.meh I got plenty of time, I'll check it out
    4. no cash flow so 1 and 2 fail.

4. Bob Dole

has anyone tried fire?

Edit

jesus christ 300 bucks for a logicboard

What are the major differences between a mb and mbp

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  5. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

Integrated graphics.

6. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

some people have said that if you put a shim between the logic board (where the graphics chip is) and the hard drive the pressure reconnects the chip to the board for a while, at least till you get your data secured.

Second, from what I remember from the video, the guy took apart the plastic shell of his iBook, turned it on, ran some sort of graphics intense program, placed a series of tea candles on the top of the logic board (on top of where graphic chip rests). He basically reliquidfied the solder balls till they connected again with the board

7. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

I ve doen the reliquify trick, it doesn t last long. The best solution is to remove the gpu when heated, make a brand new ballgrid array ( good luck without the tools) and stick the gpu back on. There are places that do it for 150$ aparently, but its not worth it, the ibook is POS , its pretty and thats it.