ibook or powerbook? help me out plz.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fuijin, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Fuijin

Fuijin New Member

ibook: http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html
    powerbook: http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index15.html

i'll be using it for school, movie and photo editing, among other things. but my biggest concern i guess is that i dont want it to be obsolete any time soon. im looking at the 14.1" ibook(1ghz G4) and the 15" powerbook(1.33ghz G4). both are G4's and the biggest difference that i can see is the front speed bus and the speed of the ram in each. what would you advise? :dunno:

2. Lodhiz14

Lodhiz14 Guest

My cousin has a Ibook, and uses it for exactly the same things you would use it for, & he says it does the job perfectly. So I suggest you pick the Ibook.

3. Icedog

Icedog New Member

Do you need a PCMCIA slot?

4. Fuijin

Fuijin New Member

no. although... again i dont want it to be obsolete any time soon. id also like to know performance wise how do they stack up? specs seem about even..but it may seem even on paper and not really that way.

5. Brian

Brian New Member

maybe go with pb because of the better gpu, so it will be compatiable with the new os

6. integraMAHxC

integraMAHxC New Member

Powerbook all the way

Powerbook is the way to go. Its so much sleaker. Not to mention when doing any editing your want as much screen real estate to work with as possible. the 14" is only 1024x768 just like the 12". Good for old people with bad eyes, but to the rest of us it just doesnt look quite as sharp. The Powerbook will also keep its value better, but with any Mac they all hold value overtime pretty well.

7. HardTech

HardTech hungry

if you get iBook with airport and bluetooth, it's hard to justify a use for a PCMCIA card

i have an iBook with both of those and it does anything and everything I want it to. Some small text is hard to read, but posts on OT show up just fine. Usually, the stuff that's hard to read are excel or word files set at a display size at like 50% or so. bumping it up to 100% makes it completely readable

a lot of people say powerbook because it holds its value better... if you plan on keeping it for a long time, this point is moot. Also, powerbook as the ability to use dual screen monitors. If you're carrying it around, chances are you don't need another monitor. PCMCIA? no need for it.

I couldn't justify the $500 premium of the powerbook over the ibook, especially when the ibook does what I want perfectly. Just because it's not as expensive as the powerbook doesn't mean it isn't as good

8. Mizzark

Mizzark OT Supporter

I'm sure the iBook would fit you fine, but I love my Powerbook.

9. pulsar

pulsar Guest

the powerbook is for high end use, the ibook is for consumer use. decide what you want to use it for and then pick.

10. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

:ugh:

11. integraMAHxC

integraMAHxC New Member

powerbook and monitors

another thing is that if you were looking for an extra monitor in the future powerbooks allow spanning which is really useful, whereas the ibook only allows mirroring of the displays

12. maczter

:eek3:

i'll be damned. never noticed that before, but here it is, straight from apple's web site...

"The iBook G4 is also equipped with VGA video output to mirror your work to an external display or projection device. Just connect your external display or projector to the Video output port using the included Apple VGA Display Adapter, and you’re up and running."

...and...

"The system automatically displays to the external monitor when you connect it to the PowerBook. Alternatively, you can toggle between dual display and video mirroring modes through one touch of the F7 key. And here’s the best part: The hardware mirroring included in the PowerBook G4 lets you display video content such as QuickTime movies on an external monitor with performance equal to that of the built-in display."

that right there sold me on the powerbook over the ibook.

13. Raddiux

Raddiux Guest

Its possible to use a small hack to enable dual display mode on the ibook (as well as the iMac and eMac). People do it all the time.

14. maczter

do share.

15. Read more...

Read more... SPQR

powerbook

16. Raddiux

Raddiux Guest

17. maczter

18. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

I used that on my mom's iBook a few weeks ago, works awesome.

Since Apple has started upgrading the iBooks to practically PowerBook specs, you won't notice much of a difference. If you were doing this work for some big-wig film production company i'd say go Powerbook. But as a student you'll be more than happy with the iBook.

19. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Look for good deals on Powerbooks. I got mine at Microcenter for a grand total of $1100 after all the rebates. If I bought it from Apple, It would have been over $1800.

Specs-
    15"
    1GHz G4
    768MB RAM
    60GB HDD
    DVD-CDR/W
    OS 10.3

I use mine primariarly for animation and modeling work. Having more screen area when you are doing any sort of graphics work is essential. The widescreen is nice, but a bit difficult in some apps. (Like Maya for modeling/animation).

It's funny, my Powerbook renders faster than a P4 2.8GHz w/ Hyperthreading.

20. Chris51080

Chris51080 I like pie

I picked the Powerbook for the following reasons;
    I liked the 15" PB display better than the 14 iBook display
    The keyboard on the PB is backlit, and more solid feeling
    4x superdrive, I don't remember if this was available on the ibook at the time
    Faster processor speeds
    Ability to support 2GB of ram instead of 1.25GB
    Larger Hard Drive

The iBook would have worked, but I liked the Powerbook much more. Either way you will be happy with it.

21. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese