iBook keeps freezing up...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by k270, Oct 6, 2004.

1. k270

k270 Guest

I'm using my iBook G4 and it keeps freezing on me. When I say freezing the arrow to click on a link won't move (this happens when surfing the net). I try to type something and it's slow to respond. It's hard to explain but it's froze up on me at least 6 times in 40 minutes. I recently had more RAM installed 512mb. I'd like help in solving this freezing problem. Please help. Thanks in advance.

2. Raddiux

Raddiux Guest

Many times system instability can be caused by bad or incompatible RAM, although they instabilities usually manifest through Kernal Panics. The first thing i'd try is to remove the new RAM you installed and see if that fixes anything. Also try repairing permissions, but the only reason I say that is because it seems thats what all mac people recommend you do when something doesn't work. Did you install any new 3rd party software? Norton Utilities is known to cause LOTS of problems with OSX, for example.

If none of those work you can try to format and install OSX from scratch, although that is a last resort.

3. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd also vouch for removing the RAM you just put in and seeing if that helps.

4. k270

k270 Guest

Hmmmm. It's strange you both mention RAM. When the Mac store installed it for me (about a month ago) it didn't snap in. It's there, I've checked. It was also checked before I left the store. This freezing thing just started last night. It's never been a problem. Tonight my computer is running fine. No freezing. Any suggestions? Comments?

5. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

have you run disk utility and repiared permissions ?

6. k270

k270 Guest

How do I do this? Sorry for the dumb question.

7. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

go back to the store if you can. explaine what you have explained to us. the genius will help you. If it's apple ram installed at the store they will help.
    go to your applications folder - utilities - Disk Utility. run the utilities under first aid. or go to the store

8. k270

k270 Guest

I'll try this. Thank you very much.