iBook fan going crazy?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by manchild, Dec 20, 2005.

1. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

My iBook is on all the time, but it doesnt get that hot. G3, 800MHz, 30gig HD, and 384MB of ram, running panther.

I'm not running strenous programs (safari and aim) and it started up when I was just idling in the regular desktop.

Any ideas on what to do, or what could be causing this? Didnt feel like calling Apple Care, i'll call tommorrw, maybe.

Could this be a defect in my fan? Its old, but i've had parts crap out on my in this lappy that had to be replaced.
    Thanks
    Peter

2. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Does the fan even turn off?

3. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

not once its started up. It just goes, and it goes REALLY loudly, right now i dont even think its spinning, or its supper quiet.

Its barely going, I can feel it a bit coming out of the back (its quiet right now) but when its on, there is a lot of air coming out of the rear.

4. Snotfist

Snotfist I am the Urban Cowboy.

I would rather have it going and know that it is cooling the computer than never have it turn on. It is normal, relax. I used to have the 14" model of the exact same computer (I seriously don't know how you are surviving on 384 ram but that is a different subject all together) and it did that. Relax. Look at where it is sitting and how much circulation is around it.

5. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Yeah man it's all good.

You wouldn't believe how much I rape my iBook's 1.2ghz cpu like 24/7 :mamoru:

I always have something running in the bg that is raping cpu usage (surprisingly I only have Firefox and msn open right now), but usually when I'm watching a csi episode or something I'm seeding like 3-4 torrents and downloading something, and at night while azureus is downloading/uploading torrents I have a movie encoding in the background, and when I look at the CPU useage it varies from 100% to 104% :mamoru:

Not to mention the fan is always on when I do that kidna stuff and the CPU hits around 60-65 degrees when doing that shit :o

6. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

running her ragged :o

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

get a G5, it'll make your ibook seem like a whisper

8. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member