iBook broke again...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gobbles, May 9, 2006.

1. gobbles

gobbles .

This is the second time my iBook(G3 800mhz) has died from a bad motherboard. I'm not too mad, seeing as if it breaks again i've got a decent shot at getting a brand new macbook. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Icedog

Icedog New Member

3. StainMeNow

StainMeNow New Member

I actually had the same problem 3 times with my iBook G3 800MHz. The video would just cut out religiously every 3 months or so. Each time I sent it to Apple for fixing and the turnover was literally 3 days or less every time. The fourth time it happened I told them that the generation was a lemon and they knew it, and asked for a new laptop. Sure enough I now have a 1.2GHz iBook G4 :)

If you just politely tell them that you've had this problem many times and know that others have had it too, then they'll replace it. I didn't have to be a bitch or anything to them about it, they were very polite and prompt in sending me a new one. Apple tech support is the best.

4. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Your problem with the video was the logic board, and there was a recall with a free logic board replacement on all the G3 iBooks.

Did you have apple care when you asked for your new one as a replacement?

I've had the power port go bad, logic board go bad once, a few chargers go bad and I think thats it.

5. gobbles

gobbles .

i'm fine with it breaking and all, since this is number two and i've heard numerous people getting a new one at number 3. I've just got until august for it to break again.

Oh yeah, and just a little comment. The first Apple rep. i talked to was a jerk and insisted that the extended service on the logic board had expired. It had, but it also states that it is good for three years after the first retail purchase of the iBook. Mine was bought in August of 2003, so i've got a few months...