IBM thinkpad R51 took a dump.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Camarors8992, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Camarors8992

Camarors8992 New Member

It froze up on me yesterday and wouldn't even open up the ctrl + Alt+ delete screen so I held the power button until it shut off, waited a second then turned it back on. It went through the normal start up procedure, but instead of loading the screen where I enter my password I got a blue screen with white text that mentioned something about physical memory dump and to consult the administrator. Anyone know what happened and what I can do to fix it. Windows XP pro btw.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you want that hex error code off the mem dump. Sounds like it could be a software issue. Also I'd run memtest86 to double check the memory and basic hardware stability.

3. Camarors8992

Camarors8992 New Member

It ran a test, not sure if it's the one you mentioned but it was successfully completed. I'm not even getting to the blue screen anymore, the hard drive light is on like it is loading something, but just a black screen now. I let it load for 10 minutes and it hasn't changed. Do you think I just need to reload xp onto it ?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I think you need to stop ignoring my post and do what I told you to do. Run memtest86 on it. If that passes 7 runs, then you need to run seagate seatools. If that passes once, then I recommend reloading windows. Pay extra attention that you install your drivers properly, and in the correct order.

5. Camarors8992

Camarors8992 New Member

How do I run this ? Load it on a cd and then boot it from the cd ? BTW, after 20 minutes of it trying to start here's what I get.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

... did you even google memtest86? Your question would have already been answered if you even briefly looked at the product.

7. Camarors8992

Camarors8992 New Member

I googled it and downloaded it, I then unzipped it and burned it's contents to a disc. The computer will not let me run the program however.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i do not have a reasonable level of certainty that you have any clue what you're doing.

I must therefore recommend you take your system to a reputable, independently-owned shop for diagnostics. Average pricing would be between $30-55 for this service.

9. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Think you might have to do what the orgre says and take it into a shop anything that has krnl in the name is hosed either needs a format, or hardware check up, software removal and reinstallment

10. Camarors8992

Camarors8992 New Member

Alright I know a local shop, I was under the impression it would be much more than that. Thanks for the help!

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

zomg, someone who actually accepted advice to go to a professional! Somebody buy this man a beer.