I would like some simple suggestions... v.running/jogging

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Left, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Left

Left Lakers Fan For Life!

Okay. I'm way out of shape, haven't really done anything like running or cardio in a few years. I'm not fat or anything, I'm 5'11" and 175-180lbs, but that's certainly not muscle.

I've decided I feel really out of shape and I'm going to start doing some jogging/running. I have a "track" in my backyard that's square, it takes 26 laps to make one mile.

Today I started with the goal of trying to jog 1/2 mile or 13 laps. I started going and did more of a solid run, not a sprint, but a run. I got 11 laps into it and felt like my chest was on fire so I walked another 11 laps and called it a quits for today.

My question is, what should my routine be. Give it a break tomorrow and then try the same again Monday, or maybe walk a mile around the track tomorrow? How many times a week should I do this?

My goal isn't to look like a CK underwear model or anything, although I wouldn't complain, I just want to feel better about myself and not die after only a few laps. :(

Any simple suggestions you guys can make would be great, thanks.

2. From my experience, running frequently no matter what the distance helped a lot. I used to not be able to run a block without breathing hard/slowing down and now I am running a mile 3 times a week without stopping. Rest if your legs are in PAIN but if they are just a little sore try it again. If you can't keep running after some amount of laps, slow it down to a jog for a few laps or whatever you need but keep moving. This is what works for me. Also instead of doing little laps run to a landmark you know is __ miles or part of a mile away so then you HAVE to run a certain distance to get back home. Otherwise you can just puss out and be like ok last lap then I'm done. I usually pick somewhere a mile away and run to it and then run back so its 2 miles.

3. phyphoestilic

phyphoestilic New Member

Also start doing things like taking the stairs instead of an elevator, parking further away from the store/friends house/school so u walk more. Just little things would add up.

I started playing catch (football) with some friends, and I do alot of sprinting catches which also gives u a good workout and its actually fun.

4. LBFilmGuy

LBFilmGuy LOL why u mad tho?

Lift weights.

5. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

Try learning POSE running and find a path outside of your backyard. Monotony is the devil when running. For now you can run as often as your body can handle - I'd say a max of 3 on 1 off until you become profficient. But realize in the long run, a routine that only involves long slow distance cardio will work against you. If you want to get 'healthy' you'll need to lift.

6. 7G

7G God

7. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

Fuck the track son, you will get bored as shit.

8. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

And fuck 1/26th of a mile? You're probably making your self dizzy running in those little circles.

9. blackrockbrig

blackrockbrig OT Supporter

I had a running coach who used to say "start slow, then taper". Basically, take it easy on yourself until you are fit enough to push yourself hard. Ther shouldn't be a rush to get fit cuz it'll burn you out. Have a goal if it helps you be consistent but a love of running or working out will benefit you much more in the long run (pardon the pun).

10. starenite777

starenite777 New Member

I'd have to agree not to push yourself so hard that you start to hate it.... but you may also want to try maybe walking a lap, running two laps, walking a lap, running two, etc. (not sure, depends on how comfortable you feel.)

I know that I'd get bored running in that many circles seeing the same thing over & over again. :)

11. >DRIVEN<

>DRIVEN< Hi

Best advice yet.

If you can, make it fun.

12. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

sprints > jogging

13. Left

Thanks for the advice guys. Few counter points. It's not as small or as boring as you might imagine running around the track. I used to do it alot getting ready for basketball season when I was younger. On that same point, I used to play basketball about 3 times a week for about two hours running almost non-stop. I'm just trying to get back into running shape so I can do that again. At this point, I don't think I'd make it up and down a full size court more than about 5 times before dying. :sad2:

14. Left

Here's what I tired today and it worked alot better. I didn't feel like dying afterward.

5 laps running
    5 laps walking

5 laps running
    5 laps walking

3 laps running
    3 laps walking

2 laps running
    2 laps walking

1 lap running
    1 lap walking

~5 more laps walked until my timer said 20 minutes since I started the whole thing

I'm going to try to do this every other day for a week or two, see how I feel and then amend it as needed after that.

15. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

lower intensity and more consistency will help your running particularly when just starting out. I've made a lot of progess by jogging as slowly as possible, slower than I can walk, just to maintain a consistent jog

work on getting some time/distance in before you up the intensity, once you've got a base then turn on the sprints

btw shorter intervals burn more fat due to higher intensity 9-12 second sprints (or in your case jogs) are better than 30 seconds. So maybe alternate single laps. Either way mix it up and try different things

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.