SRS I wonder if I have it bad?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Spidey_C, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Spidey_C

Spidey_C Play to win.

Well, I'm a senior in high school. I never really cared for the bullshit drama, but what has become a problem is the fact that I've been rejected from all the schools I applied. I don't think I'm a bad student since I have about a 2.7 gpa although had I put more effort into high school I could easily have been an A student . I've only been accepted to the community colleges around my locale. Now I'm pretty angry with myself. My problem extends far beyond this as well. My parents constantly call me a disapointment. I haven't told them about my rejection letters either as I would know what they would say already. So I tell my girlfriend my problem. She doesn't say or do anything to try and lift my spirit. I've only been with her for a few months, but we've known each other since we were in 3rd grade. So I can't rely on her either . Now I've pretty much decided to join the Marine Corps. to which when I suggested this to my parents they called me a dumbass. Basically I just wanted to write this down as I really have no other place to share my thoughts with. :sadwavey:

2. Bleed

Bleed New Member

dude in retrospect, i would have gladly done 2 years at a JC and then transferred to a university. the undergrad courses have zero bearing on your future or what college you graduate from (assuming you do good in those classes like 3.5+ gpa). i took the same class at a school where tuition was $35K/year that I could have at a JC for $50 for the course.

don't try to live up to what other people want you to be. just do your own thing and learn to be happy with it.

3. Spidey_C

Spidey_C Play to win.

Well this is just part of the problem. I would have I will be going to school with a lot of dick heads from high schools in NYC which would probably be like high school all over again with the same bullshit . I really don't feel that I need to put up with that nonsense. Like I said this is just part of the problem, because I find myself not being able to really have someone to talk to about this shit.

4. johan

johan Active Member

You don't HAVE to hang out with the same old "dick heads" from high school. There ought to be some other people in that community college besides the ones from your school.

You'll get to hang out with dick heads from other high schools. And in two years, you can transfer to university and hang out with the dick heads there.

5. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

its been my experience that highschool = forced education, whereas college and university, etc, = they chose to be there... there's quite a different mentality in post-secondary schools... sure, there are some who keep to the old highschool drama ways, but they're usually ostracised instead of being looked up to... after a few years, they get weeded out

6. Bleed

Bleed New Member

listen dude. just go to school like half an hour away from where you are. that way, people you know are less likely to be there. set yourself up with some kind of plan to make it happen. go find a job and get some extra money to have rent and a place on your own. i lived with roommates in college and made it by on $550/mo for rent in Los Angeles. i also worked part time for spending money. i know working and school is possible because i did it while playing a Division 1 sport so I was on a plane every other weekend for 6 months of the year.

so if i were in your position the first thing i would do it tell my parents. feel them out to see what they think. talk to them honestly about how you feel like a disapointment, etc and how you want to go to college, do well, and prove them wrong (doing well in the first 2 years of JC and transferring into a good University will prove this). if they are good parents and have any slight bit of heart, they will do their best to help you get on the right track.

it doesnt matter if you go to a JC or a 4-year. the students that work hard their first 2 years end up finishing off school well and graduate with honors. the kids that fuck around the first 2 years will fuck around regardless of where they are. the only difference is, do you want to spend $30k/yr or $500/yr to mess around?

7. :smile:

:smile: New Member

you wont even see those ppl, your schedules will be different, you can go whenever you want, & sometimes ppl grow up..it's such a different experience

8. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

dude I got like a 2.0 in HS and went to JC and it worked out great.

taking the same fucking classes at a fraction of the price.. kick ass there and then transfer to a bigdeal uni like NYU or something and show all those naysayers and tell them to go fuck themselves.

I went from being kicked outta HS to UC San Diego.. so it's very possible.

9. tamiyaDrifter

tamiyaDrifter Lurker

Suck it up and take the shit from your parents and take the community college avenue. Use this as a footstep to get into university, and show your parents that you aren't a disappointment as you got into uni. This is if your parents look down on you because you are unable to get into university.

10. TGrant

TGrant New Member

College is nothing like high school. Get a job, go to school and learn how to dish it out the hard way.

The unacceptance of your parents sucks, but prove them wrong. Your goal in life should be to show them that they did do something right.

11. johan

johan Active Member

Maybe this is a bit hardline, but parents that look down on you because you couldn't get into university immediately, should be cut out.

Set to work building your life. They deserve no part of your success, because it is your success.

You'll have an easier time achieving it if you remove major sources of negativity in your life. And disapproving parents trying to pull you down to "your" level by telling you you're worthless, you're stupid, etc.. you can do without that.

12. AmCo

AmCo Haters goin' Hate

make something of yourself and prove them wrong!

13. AmCo

AmCo Haters goin' Hate

i was in the same boat as you a few years back.

14. Spidey_C

Spidey_C Play to win.

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

15. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

yeah, you're heading off to college soon, which means you're setting out to make a life of your own.. your parents are taking a spectator position now instead of an active role. if they constantly bring you down, then just reduce the roles they have left in your life until they have none

16. naughtie

naughtie New Member

:werd:

My parents were kinda the same way. Besides, the military is NOT a bad thing. Everysingle person I know who has joined the military has definately become a better person from it. And they will pay for your schooling, too.