A&P I won a contest (winning pic not inside) big story, critique if you want

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Ingen, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Ingen

Ingen New Member

In my division anyway. Photography contest down in hocking hills, and I even have a couple mediocre stories about it.

First story. About a half hour after we pick up my film on friday morning (yes, I skipped school for this) we got to Old Man's Cave. As most people know, there are well-defined trails in most state and national parks. These are in place for a very very good reason, and that reason is to keep your big stupid ass from getting lost. Me, being the he-man I am, told the trails to go screw themselves and took an old trail. After 30 years, a trail becomes a... uh... not trail. The bridge was washed out and everything was slick and jagged and deadly looking, but I assumed that if I got by this part it'd be much easier than going back. It wasn't. Before and after this little getting lost fiasco I was taking lots of pretty pictures, none of which are featured in this thread because they're still on slides and I can't afford a scanner.

Anyway. This rediculous, craggy rock area was a major pain in the assand took about 20 minutes to cross. I could have done it in 5 if I didn't have 1800 dollars worth of fragile crap stuck to my belt. Hoorah digital. Anyhoo, that's most of this story. I got lost in a canyon and fixed that fact later and got back out all dehydrated and stuff. I'd make a better story but you honestly don't care about this as much as you do the pics, we both know that.

Second story tizzime: Junior division was the last one judged at the awards ceremony, other than flora and the grand prize. Digital went first, and this little gay looking kid won the grand prize in digital and got 500 dollars and some other crap. Later, in the junior division, all but one of my slides showed in the first ten (made me sad as hell). But then I got first place, which kind of desaddened me. Then the grand prize came. I assumed it was 1 in 5 chances for me because the digital wasn't entered and it just HAD to be someone who won a category, right? Wrong! faggot kid came back and won this one too, with the same damned image no less! It was pathetic, he just switched the digital off of his tripod for his film cam and took the same shot again. It sucked 3x more cuz he missed the exposure and because he got the other 500 dollars. Whatever. As 1st place junior, I won 5 rolls of fugi provia slide film, and fugifilm finepix e510 (which I'm contemplating selling), a free camping trip and a t shirt.

OK fine, I guess I'll show the pics now.
    BW conversions first. These are the ones I fiddled with (only the colors and levels though, no addition of thingies)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alrighty, now for the pretty color stuff. starting with random locations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alright, NOW here's the stuff from the Old Man's Cave.

I like the following picture, you might too?
    [​IMG]

Best.bridge.ever.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last but not least, one of my favorites. You know, timed waterfall shot, landscape, and so on. I like it, but in retrospect I should have used about 10 seconds more shutter speed.
    [​IMG]

That's my stuff, enjoy.

one last note: I dropped my stuff off at the gallery on this same weekend. It was cool, and will be cooler because I'll be getting 63 dollars of profit per print.

2. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

3. Mike4831

Mike4831 “Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’l

Sweet pictures.

4. unrealdigital

unrealdigital OT Supporter

very nice...that one w/the fence is very strange..i like it. :)

5. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Thanks, a totally different fence won it... I can't wait to see it scanned :big grin: