I wish we used Macs at my work

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Apothis, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I'm way down towards the bottom of the ladder as far as the IT department goes at the college I work for. But I still have some thoughts about our arrangement. Many thoughts, actually. It's really annoying how devoted they are to M$/Dell. If we used macs instead, things would be so much simpler imo. Our top Technology Cooridinator wants to massively lock-down students in the labs and thinks Active Directory (migrating from Novell) will be our savior. Far as I can tell it's at least as much of a curse as a blessing. Hell, if he wants to lock down, its SO EASY in OS X, and quite frankly a lot more effective too. That would be so great if we had systems that weren't constantly plagues with spyware, that were stable and fairly self-maintaining, and with great security features (that actually work).

In case anyone's wondering, I've been fooling around with user security on my ibook tonight. Man, it's great stuff.
    :wiggle:

I hate all the head-up-butt bureaucracy at places like where I work. Such blind devotion to companies and products that really are just making our jobs harder. *sigh*

2. Icedog

Icedog New Member

our school is about to spend a fortune on LanDesk just so we can remotely delete shit off a computer, oh and to prevent students from install weatherbug.. I'm with you, Windows sucks.

3. marc lau

marc lau New Member

I with u too!

4. DrCarlo

DrCarlo Its not that im lazy, its just that I dont care.

I admin a windows environment (1000 users) and would love to have macs here, you can lock them down more and do more with them.. however..

Windows does have its plusses.. I think apple need to work more on their server product as Windows server and AD is alot more advanced in some regards.. However give them time, they are way behind Microsoft on the time line of server os's and already have a better platform.

If I was rolling out a new network that had to have a mix of systems I would use Microsoft Active Directory (it works well with macs) and then roll out a mix of workstations and just lock them down as I see fit.

5. elcano

elcano Guest

My mac surprised me when I made a new account for my flat-mate so she could jump on the net whenever she wanted - I chose simplified chooser and was blown away by the level of lockdown-ableness that was on tap!!

Where I work currently, (magazine publishing) they have a whole array of dual g5's and quite honestly, I feel left out working on an HP laptop. :(

6. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I'm trying to get one for work as we speak.

7. DrCarlo

DrCarlo Its not that im lazy, its just that I dont care.

They gave you a HP laptop.. thats just cruel dude. :(

Pawn it for a g5 :p

8. elcano

elcano Guest

yeah - they're hippies..
    I said, hey whoa! you've got G5's!
    And they said: oh yeah, we could have gotten you working on one of those if we'd known you liked them..
    and I was like.. *rips out hair*

I did have a fang on one for a day though, but then it's owner came back from holidays. :( I so want one now!