COMIC I wish that marvel and DC would stop trying to measure their dicks

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Sirc, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

I really would like it if they didn't constantly HAVE to put out a "NEW AND EXCITING STORY ARC THAT'LL CHANGE THE ____ UNIVERSE.... FOREVER!!" every other month.

I mean Infinite Crisis JUST happened. Civil War JUST finished and right before that was House of M.

And every time a new one comes out it's like, "THIS TIME WE WILL REALLY CHANGE THE UNIVERSE FOREVER!!!*"

*editor's note: Unless we don't like it and then Joe Quesada will just retcon it.

I think we need to take a break from all these universe altering stories and get back to, I don't know, the characters and telling their stories?

2. void

void oh yeah?

oh the ironing...you just bought what they were selling by making this thread.

3. void

void oh yeah?

they do the events because it sells comics. without those big house crossovers and events, then marvel/dc might not want to invest money in say a new series like runaways, or some nior crime book like Criminal, or some stupid real world superhero like kickass.

those big events are what keeps the gears turning, talk shit about them all you want, but they're important nonetheless.

4. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

I'm not saying to stop them.

But it's been one after another for the last 2 years. Hell some of them even overlapped.

They're not even trying anymore. You can make big events that are very important, but that doesn't mean the quality of story telling should fail.

I like them, sure, but it's getting overused.

5. void

void oh yeah?

i imagine it will come full circle like the 90s when they had crossover-superAids for the longest time and everyone just got sick of them. There was nothing for the longest time after that, these events are just now coming back, and with the super-teams for fantastic writers and great artists working on them, the quality is much better.

yes, there is a lot of them. yes, they are not earth shattering stories. they are, however, entertaining and they sell like crazy.

6. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

:werd:

and it's better than

[​IMG]

7. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

8. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Doom always keeps his word. OT Supporter

Don't forget, you don't have to buy every crossover. You can wait them out a few issues to hear reviews and then jump in, or wait for the trade. If they're full of fail, try out some indies. At the end of the day, all we really want are good stories. I try to get them wherever I can.

9. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

Not to mention, you could just bypass each event and just read the current ongoing books... ie Amazing Spider-man, Captain America, Thor, Invincible Iron Man, Iron Fist, Astonishing X-Men etc

All premier books with little to do with summer events.

10. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

There's always a tie-in of some kind.

I'm also a collector, some of you know that, some of you don't. They just print these things by the millions and billions and everyone gets a piece of them.

It's just annoying.

11. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

I get what you're saying, but the past couple events have had their tie-ins be separate miniseries. So far besides those, Secret Invasion has left the respective creative teams and books to focus on their own stories.

12. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

The huge events are great my only problem with them is that they have so many tie-ins that you have to spend an extra $100/month if you wanna be on top of it. I'm gonna guess Secret Invasion is going to be like 70 different issues when its all said and done :o

I pick up the main story, but unless the tie ins are in series that i currently read, i wont pick them up. I understand they are all related to the story, but at the same time there has to be a limit.

As long as I dont lose Vertigo, Dark Horse and many of the other non-superhero lines ill be happy. But whatever it takes to keep those going I will support.