MIL I wish i had support from my family.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ozner, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Ozner

Ozner Offical TSL OP Leghumper

I'm leaving for the airforce next week. Both parents say i'm a disgrace to the family because i didn't go to college. :hs: I just wish i could leave my house on better terms and they could see that this is really what i wanna do.

2. Big Red

Big Red New Member

if they dont "approve" of it they should still support your decision, you can still take college classes and be in the military, plus when you get out, your military education should convert to some college credits. Tell them they should get their heads out of their asses and support what you have decided to do. There is an enormous amount of pride that families of military members should have for their loved ones entering the service.

3. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

If you opt for the GI Bill, and you'd be dumb not to, then you will end up paying for your own college from that. Why wouldn't your parents be glad that at 19 you are completely fiscally responsible for yourself? And you will get not only class education, but real world education.

4. Ozner

My dad has been sitting here talking to me for about 2 hours about this shit. Why can't they just support me dammit.

5. Ozner

I'm gonna miss ot more than anything really. :hs:

6. Under_Fire

Under_Fire Duck and Run

do your thing man :coolugh:

7. Roshambo

Roshambo Yes, I'm a Marine. No, I haven't killed anyone.

Well, it sucks they wont support you, but you have to go into this knowing you made the right choice, otherwise you will end up second guessing yourself and it'll make basic harder.

Good luck though!

8. Whoflungpoo

Whoflungpoo BlooRly!?

They may not support you, but you will soon enough have the support of quite a few AF members.:bigthumb:

Stand by your decision and live your life for yourself. There is no disgrace in service to your country. To me it's one of the highest honors, and I feel guilty for not going active.:hs:

9. Sammo

Sammo New Member

were they going to pay for college for you?

10. Ozner

My college has been paid for since before i was born.

I also find out that girl i thought i was with should not be trusted while drunk.

11. Sammo

Sammo New Member

paid for? free ride?

Go to college man.

12. Ozner

I was in college for a year. I hated everyday of it-- and even w/ that i got a 3.5. College will always be there i have nothign to loose. Just that no support means task become harder to do. I don't really need them its just the fact that they are my parents and blah blah blah. Don't wanna bored you all w/ a ghey story.

13. BassBoy14

BassBoy14 New Member

My family was not real happy about my choise in the early 80s but as they see you grow up and get your colladge, and see how much the military changes you for the better they will approve of your choise. its hard for them to understand during a war, my family still worries after all these years, But give them time they will see the change in you after basic. Good luck

14. pakman

pakman New Member

I joined at 17, so I had to get the signatures of both my parents to join the Army National Guard. My father didn't really say much, just told me to make sure I was making the right decision. My mother, on the other hand, wasn't too thrilled about me joining, considering this was 2 months after 9/11. I had to explain to her the NG was only used for national emergencies, so that convinced her to sign. Then then whole Iraq war started up and now I'm over here, so back to square one with my mother.

15. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

By joining the service, you will get much more than a mere job. You get lifetime benefits like VA home loan guarantees. You get preferential hiring. You get real-life job training. And probably most important for you: you get to leave your family while getting your room & board guaranteed.

As you progress in your career, you'll find that college is not only encouraged, it becomes mandatory in order to get promoted. Your parents will come around after they get used to the fact that you are your own person and making responsible decisions.

In the meantime, you have the respect and encouragement of us. :hugot:

16. Ozner

:bowdown: well said. Thanks alot

17. BlackHBDX

BlackHBDX The grey fixer

That sucks man. I had a friend of mine in a similar situation. His parents offered to pay him $100K to not re-enlist in the Air Force. He did anyway. They just didn't understand that it's not about money. You're doing a great thing, man.

18. AKing

AKing It's like we've got each others backs

I'm being offered a $20k not to sign by my father. He wants me to open a business or do something positive with my life, I don't even have to go to college. But i want to go to the airforce badly. I'm to motivated to go. I'll be waiting for ya Miami boy. We gotta be airmen :wavey:

19. Ozner

One hell of a well worded post. An award should be given. :bowdown:

Slob_on_knob. I hope your studying and getting mentally ready.

20. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Wait until they see you in dress uniform... moms usually are suckers for their son in dress uniform.

21. Ozner

My mom asked me about that today. :rofl:

22. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

How parents cannot at the very least supportive for their child to join the military is beyond me. it almost disgusts me. sounds like they have some growing up to do. just because they are parents and "adults" doesnt always mean....well you get what im sayin. out.

23. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

She thinks youre going to go off to Iraq and wind up a statistic on the news.
    Like my parents, although they were outwardly supportive, did ask me to think it over, being that we were about to go to war.

24. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I remember what my Dad had said when I started talking about enlisting, everytime it came up in conversation, "I'm not going to tell you what to do with your life, and I'm not going to convince you to join the military, but I think it's a really good thing for you to do with your life and it will do you very good."

My Mom told me that she would never accept my decision to join unless I did at least 1 year of college (which I paid for). But I think that helped me get a little more world perspective without setting my life goals back too far.

25. Eng

Eng New Member

they may not support you now because they are afraid for you. they see all this bs on the news and think the worst but once you are in and doing your thing Im sure they will come around and support you