I wish I could enjoy fantasy.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by deusexaethera, Oct 3, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I have a similar mindset to a lot of my friends (not surprisingly), and most of them like to game and read fantasy novels and all that (even the financially-stable ones!), but I just can't. The only kind of "fantasy" I can enjoy is science fiction, because it hasn't already been proven false. I admire all that magic and D&D and steampunk/dieselpunk shit, but I just feel like a goddamned fool when I try to participate. (profanity inserted to express frustration, not disdain.)

I guess that's what I get for growing up with parents who both took it upon themselves to criticise and embarass me for daydreaming. Come to think of it, pretty much every interest I've ever had I was criticised and embarassed about, with the sole exception of what I now do for a living. (I even got hassled for spending $500 on a good mountain bike, though they were nice enough to keep quiet about it until after I hit a moving car and survived, and they learned the value of strong welds.) I can't even read a fucking magazine in the house without wondering "what it says about me", even though the more-evolved parts of my mind could care less. I try to pay attention to those parts exclusively, but something in particular about imaginative fantasy burns through those blinders and I just can't enjoy it.

I basically feel like I'm wasting my time when I do things that I like.

- - -

EDIT: Yeah I know, I'm kinda ranting Asylum-style, but it made sense to me to do it where people who share the same interests hang out.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  2. Variant

Variant Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.

I'm going to criticize your for this post and you should feel embarrassed.

No seriously though, it sounds like you mostly don't like "high fantasy", which I guess is the most well-known type, the D&D type. You've got sorcery, dragons, elves and magic swords around every corner.

You might want to try "low fantasy", which is the more realistic, gritty type. I highly recommend George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. Magic and dragons and the undead are still there, but they're very underplayed, behind the scenes most of the time. The story mostly focuses on political intrigue, and the writing and characters are absolutely fantastic. There are many fans of the series in this forum.

3. deusexaethera

Thanks for the suggestion, but what I'm saying is I do like high fantasy, but I feel like a fool for it. It's really annoying.

Besides, doesn't steampunk/dieselpunk fall more into "low fantasy" anyway? It's mostly just technological anachronisms anyway.

4. deusexaethera

none taken.

EDIT: I would like to know how you came to that conclusion, though.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  5. Variant

Variant Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.

ehh...not sure why you'd feel like a fool for liking fantasy, of any sort. Sounds like you worry way too much about what other people think.

6. deusexaethera

It's more like I used to worry what they thought -- for good reason too, because I was the kid the geeks picked on to make themselves feel better -- and now it's so ingrained I can't seem to stop.

7. mutantpotato666

mutantpotato666 New Member

i kind of have that same problem... except mine is slightly different... i tend to like fantasy type things when i am around people who do like fantasy type stuff... but as soon as another one of my friends or anyone comes over and starts to scoff at wutever we are doing, i tend to want to side with the person doing the scoffing and my like of fantasy disappears for at least the rest of the day... wut i do to try and stop that and enjoy myself is to willingly do sumthing even more embarrassing which takes my mind off the fantasy issue so as to let me enjoy it....

if u are like me then mabey u wanna give that a shot

8. Xaint

Xaint New Member

It really does sound like, if it was more socially accepted by society as a whole you would not be in this situation. You need to stop thinking about what others think about you or you'll become a mindless society-driven drone.

9. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

pick up the series The Prince of Nothing. the cover designs are so badass that you wont feel like a tool for reading it.

example:
    [​IMG]

unlike A Song of Fire and Ice, where the cover designs are so boring that you'd think they decided to make the books look like shit on purpose.

example:
    [​IMG]

10. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

the joy of leisure activities is that you can like what you like, and dislike what you dislike.

You're not hurting yourself or anyone, so what does it matter?