I will buy a 3 month sub for 4 the person who can fix this problem v. work bandwidth

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I posted this in the offtopic forum, but I thought I might get more help here.

The post:

Most companies use Websense or something which is easy enough to bypass.

My company does something different. They use an inhouse firewall. Standard proxy bypass methods don't work. It's very restrictive. We can't even access hotmail, gmail, or pretty much anything more than standard, "friendly" websites.

Now, that's not my main problem. See, the worst part is that in addition to using a restrictive firewall, they also LIMIT YOUR BANDWIDTH. This annoys me to no end. I'll be doing my thing, and randomly I will get this message instead of the webpage I'm trying to load (edited for anonimity)

-----------------
    [FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif](Company name) [/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif]To preserve our Internet bandwidth for the use of meeting participants, access to this content has been restricted for the remainder of the day. If you have any questions, please contact (Exec Vice President).
    [/FONT]​
    -----------------

Normally I wouldn't even care that much, except it happened the other day when I was ONE CLICK AWAY FROM SELLING A STOCK. :madfawk:

Some websites, such as elitetrader.com, seem to use up my bandwidth limit very quickly. I'll view like 4 threads and then I get that message. Other sites, like OT, seem to work all the time. Like right now, I just got that message again when I tried to sign into Scottrade, but I can still post on OT with no problem.

So, does anyone know of any bypasses? I can't set up my computer at home and use that as a proxy because the firewall here restricts that. I can't think of anything else but I thought for a 3 month sub someone might know something.

The only other thing I can think of is to use a wireless network, but there are no unsecured networks in range (there are a few used by other companies in our building, but they're secured, and I can't crack them).

WTF? I'm a fucking manager, too. I'm salary. I can come and go as I please but I can't surf the net? I can understand firewalls but limited bandwidth is lame as shit. Sometimes on slow days I like to daytrade on my lunch, like what I was going to do today, until I got that stupid ass error when I tried to log in.

Oh, and rebooting doesn't reset the bandwidth usage.

Meaningful replies:

All computers on company network are restricted.

omg, you know what else pisses me off? Our offices in other states have NO firewalls. When I was visiting another office in another state I could check myspace, hotmail, anything. Maybe I need to go about getting a log in to THAT server. That would be hard.

"Hi, I'd like a login to our other server."
    "Why?"
    "So I can surf the net."

Tard Carnival
    suggested using cellular wireless

So I called Cingular.

10 MB a month - $24.99
    20 MB a month - $34.99
    50 MB a month - $44.99
    Unlimited - $59.99

Obviously I would need the unlimited one, but yeah, that's not going to happen. But those prices are locked into a 2 year contract, too. She wouldn't give me month-to-month.

Oh well. It was worth a try. Any other suggestions?

I get this:

[FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif](Company name) [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif] Access to this content has been restricted to for security reasons, including potentially malicious code from being downloaded to your computer. If you have any questions, please contact (Exec Vice President).

:rolleyes:

[/FONT]

I was reassigned the same IP address as before.

Didn't work. Thanks, tho.

Dunno how to do that.

I believe it's done by login ID and not by IP address. If I go log into another computer I will still have blocked access for the rest of the day because my userID has used up its allotted bandwidth.

So if anyone here can help, and it works, I'll buy you a 3 month sub.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

from the looks of things, you're screwed.

Oh, and trying to bypass stuff like this is against the forum rules, so :lockd:

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Is it? Oops. Sorry for violating forum rules.

4. zeke676

zeke676 New Member

you can set up your computer at home to act as a ssh server with openssh, but configure it to use port 443(https). then at work use putty to open that connection. fire up your browser, go into the proxy settings, and configure it to use socks and enter your local pc address(127.0.0.1:8080). should be good.

5. TheTrooper

TheTrooper New Member

Still relatively new at networking, but you can change your IP via the Command Prompt program that is in Accessories within your Start menu.

Type "ipconfig /release" (without the quotes), which will release your IP. The next thing to do would be to disconnect your computer at work from EVERYTHING. Turn it off overnight, go back the next day, and you will have a fresh connection. You can then manually configure a new IP address from there, one the network doesn't have an iron grip over.

I'm a Config Engineer, and I have Administrator rights to my computer on the network. You're a manager and probably can't even visit OT? Something's wrong.

6. zeke676

zeke676 New Member

he has to go through a proxy server, that is his gateway. will not work

7. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

You're SOL. Trying to bypass these measures will most likely get you caught.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Your best bet is to buy an old laptop and plug in one of those cellular broadband cards. That way you're using your own resources to screw around on the web; the company can't do anything about it except fire you if you don't get your work done.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I don't have a blackberry or a solution like what I described; however, my company has not yet made an attempt to lock down their network, so it's not an issue for me. I have my browser set to delete all temporary files when I close it, and I don't view inappropriate content.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If its IP based... switch IPs manually. If its login based, try bringing in another computer, setting a manual IP address to one that isn't taken, and using that.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  11. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

You mean there exists a company that pushes employees to actually be productive during time spent at work?

:hsugh:

12. MrFaldyn

MrFaldyn MrFaldyn

if you're that high in the company, can't you just ask whoever's in charge of the shit for unrestricted access :dunno:

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Sorry, I was busy all weekend. Here are my replies:

No, it's controlled by my login ID (Novell) and not through IP.

They're bastard expensive AND require a 2 year contract, at least with Cingular (my provider). I'm going to call Sprint and find out how theirs work. I'm trying to not pay $60/mo just to surf the net at WORK.

For some reason, even when my bandwidth limit is hit, I can still browse OT and a few other forums. But most forums, such as elitetrader.com, will not work, and when they do work they use up my bandwidth very quickly.

I might try that. The only problem is the message says to contact the Exec Vice President. That's quite a bit higher up the chain than I am. Plus, I've only been here for like 4 months. I'd have no problem talking to the IT guys about it, but I don't know if they can do anything.

Does anyone know if Sprint will let you get just the internet card thing without a phone/contract/etc.? I have a laptop at work so that would work perfectly.

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Just called Sprint. Their prices are just as high as Cingular's.

15. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Of course they can fix it, they're the ones who came up with how to implement it. You just have to convince them it's worth the risk to fix it.

16. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I just want them to fix it for me.

Me: "Hi, I'd like more bandwidth so I can surf the net"
    Them: "No, you're fired."
    Me: "Damn."

17. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

They must only restrict http bandwidth (port 80 and 443) so assuming you have email at work I'd setup a proxy computer at home and have it listen on port 25 or 110. Those ports *should* be unrestricted and I'm not sure if they filter all 25/110 traffic through a mail filter (that'd get messy) but it might work.

18. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I'm a noob when it comes to ports. Where can I go to learn more about what you're talking about?

19. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Well, you have two options.

1) Setup a form of VNC (http://www.uvnc.com/)
    -After installing you can tell it to LISTEN on a particular port (above).
    -This basically lets you log into your computer remotely.
    -You'll need to be able to install this on your work computer to connect.

2) Setup a web server (Apache) at home and tell it to listen on X port.
    -You'll need to add a Perl/PHP proxy script to get it to work.

If you're not sure I'd try number one first. If you have a network at home you'll have to forward the port on your router to the computer running VNC. When you connect to this computer from work you use your INTERNET IP, not your LAN IP.

20. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

#1 seems the best. My company has software that actually blocks the URL by pattern matching, so even if I use the proxy I have installed on my webserver, the software picks up what I'm trying to do and owns me :(

Beware though, that logging in to your home pc to use the internet without restrictions can get you fired.

21. samm

samm Next in Line

1. run squid on a box with a public IP: http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/
    2. ssh -L localport:localhost:squidport your_host_here

set firefox to route all your http traffic to localhost at whatever port you specified for localport. I am not sure how to get https to work, so it may not work for your stock trading site. Consult the squid wiki.

22. spooky

spooky OT Supporter

wait how do you bypass websense?

23. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

yea i would talk to IT about loosening that. that might work. tell them you have a need for net access to do research for your job.....

not say, hey i want more bandwith to surf OT.

say i need more bandwith to research the models that other companies are compiling. etc etc

24. esoteric goat

esoteric goat Esoteric means delicious.....

get a ppc or smartphone through sprint's sero program $30/mo with unlimited data and tether that to your laptop

25. Chris

Chris New Member

at the place I worked that had websense, putting https:// worked to get gmail, which was all I cared about