GUN I went to the gunshow today and came home with some russian goodies...v.M38 and AK74

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeepilot, Dec 31, 2006.

1. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Picked up the mosin for $110 OTD, but i got to inspect all the bores and look and pickup all of them, which is something you can't do through mail-order. I'd delt with the same guy before and knew he didn't sell crap. When you figure in shipping it's all about the same either way, and this way i got to hand select.

The AK74 is the Knife btw... It's the same that Thunderbear had posted online a few times before. Spring action at the push of a button. Nice strong action and metal frame with a clip. I picked it up for $40, which is about what i'd pay if i got it online w/shipping.

[​IMG]

Tell me how the bore is on these two pics below... of the 3 i looked at this appeared to have the best rifleing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

i bought two mosins for my father....one was an M44 carbine and another a Tula manufactured 91/30....both had way better bores than that...however, mosins are hit and miss in so many aspects, so finding a truly good one all around is probably 1 in 100...overall u did alright for 110 :)

3. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

If thats a clean barrel, then I've seen better but it looks like there is still cosmoline in it so its kind of hard to tell.

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

clean that barrel up real good and then we'll be able to tell you better what the condition of the rifling is.

5. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

nigga that aint an AK74 :squint:

6. puppeteer107

puppeteer107 Be mine, sister salvation

I want an m38 but I never see anyone selling them. I might have to settle for a 91 :hs:

7. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

My first post wasn't the best wording. I was trying to say that even though i paid more than i could get one online for, i got to inspect it. This one had all matching numbers so i thought that was a plus. Another reason i bought the m38 over the m44 is because i know the m38 is getting harder to find, and i can always mail order an m44 or 91/30. The guy had m44s for the same price and 91/30s for a hundred bucks. With my C&R i got didn't have to pay tax at least.

I still haven't shot it, but aren't you supposed to run some window cleaner through the bore after shooting? I also haven't swabbed the bore but i think it'll clean up.

The reciever has 1943 stamped on it, and the serial number, and another number with a line through it... does anyone know the significance of this? also the guy said it had "kill" marks on the stock does anyone know where i can verify, or figure out what a "kill" mark would look like?

8. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Where was the gun show? Belleville ones are small and few

9. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Kansas City, MO
    we got there at about 10:30 and there was still a line to get in. I was absolutely packed, and when we left at two, there was still a line to get in.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Window cleaner = ammonia if you are shooting corrosive ammo. If you are shooting commercial ammo don't worry about it.

I don't bother because I clean the hell out of my Mosins after I shoot them. I continue to swab them with Sweet's 7.62 because I am shooting jacketed surplus ammo and after about the 4th moderate cleaning (Sweets -> Hoppe's -> oil) the lands are starting to clear out.

If your receiver has the original serial "lined out" with an electro-penciled serial on it (like my 91/30 has on the reciever/bolt/floorplate/buttplate) it has been rearsenaled by the Russians. That is, they rebuilt it out of random parts and "force matched" everything.

If you clean the metal on the buttplate with alcohol you might see the electro-pencilled number there...crafty Russians used paint to cover up worn bluing and scratched on my sights and my buttplate :mamoru:

11. RuskeR

RuskeR ReksuR

Pics?

12. RuskeR

RuskeR ReksuR

I actually bought my first Mosin the other day. Big5 in my area had one come in so I picked it up for $89 +tax. It wasn't on display and was still in the box it came in. He opened it up in front of me and it looks pretty good. I don't know a whole lot about Mosins but everything looked ok. Honestly I don't know too much about guns in general so I'm still figuring shit out at this point.

[​IMG]

My Mosin is also a 1943. The 1943's are the most common because it was the biggest production year. It's also the Izhvesk (Soviet Union) made model

13. RuskeR

RuskeR ReksuR

14. Keesh

Keesh New Member

That's a pretty good looking one. All the ones at my big 5 look like shit. I'm still waiting to find a good one to buy.

15. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Well i went to the range yesterday to shoot the thing. It's freakin awesome. I love the boom. It's pretty powerful, i'd say between a .308 and a .30-'06. It functioned fine, but would ocassionally have a hard time rotating the bolt after firing. The only bad thing in the 59 rnds i shot(gf shot once), is that the dang baseplate has absolutely no recoil pad, and you can feel it. My shoulder is sore a hell now.

I came home and cleaned the bbl out with some amonia cleaner i had, then did my regular cleaning. The bore isn't too bad, and has a minor bit of pitting, but the rifling is real nice. I'll have to get pics of that and the force matched numbers. Only thing i reccomend is that when you shoot it, get a towel and wrap it for some padding around the butstock.

16. RuskeR

RuskeR ReksuR

Damn you should have gotten a video. :) How bad is the recoil?

17. Buzz Killington

Some ammo can gum up the action. I know my Czech steel core does, it has some red shit around the primer that goops everything up. Just bring some Hoppes or something and a rag and clean the bolt and keep shooting it.

The first time I shot my 91/30 I could barely move my arm (I ran 100 rounds through it) afterwards. Then I learned how to hold it properly and now it doesn't really bother me. Basically hold it firmly against your shoulder - it's a little counterintuitive. I hold mine really tight, which helps me obtain a sight picture very fast.

18. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Mosin crew here (91/30), and mine ALSO is a 1943 model :big grin:

I am going to have to look up more about it at that link above.

19. RuskeR

RuskeR ReksuR

I'm thinking about buying ether a 91/30 or an M44 this week... I can't decide.

20. Buzz Killington

I have 'em both and the M44 is more fun to shoot. Unless you are shooting off a bench the 91/30 is a real chore to hold up after a while.

21. RuskeR

RuskeR ReksuR

I'm a noob when it comes to gun. The M38 was my first purchase and for $89 I wasn't expecting much. With these older guns what should I really be paying attention to as far as good quality? Just the bore?

22. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Is the top of your receiver machined rough?