I went to test drive a Cobalt SS, thoughts....

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Short Bus, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

So I bought the recent Car and Driver and was stunned by just how fast this little booger goes. I was especially stunned that it nudged past the EVO X, Elise, S2000, 135i, and kicked the crap out of the STI. ( :( )

First impression... the car doesn't look like much. It's like a regular Cobalt, but with badging and nice looking wheels. The interior mostly sucks. The interior in my five year old Subaru is honestly nicer (and the Impreza isn't exactly known for it's nice interior) . The seats are incredible, perfect fit for me. Back seat is useless. Trunk is bigger than I would have thought.

Driving it... it certainly accelerates quite briskly, but with the five speed and long gears it's more of a long legged fast feeling. My Subaru feels like it accelerates much more violently in comparison, but it has much shorter gears. Given the trap speeds the SS has pulled though, it is no doubt faster from a rolling start. The engine pulls cleanly and smoothly through redline from about 2000 RPM's.

Transition response felt slightly dulled compared to my STi, but the overall cornering grip is certainly there. The brakes also work just like you'd expect, very good. Shifter feel is crap compared to the STi, but it's linked through a cable. With that in mind it really isn't bad, just have to accept it for what it is.

For daily driving the car would be superior to the STi. The ride is smoother, it gets better gas mileage, and it's quieter.

Overall I'm impressed. This is an exceptionally good car if you're looking for the cheapest, fastest thing you can get. Just gotta look past it's warts.

The reason I was intrigued enough to look is because it offers similar or better performance than my STi... BUT comes with a 100k mile five year warranty. Being the type to leave things mostly stock, I love the idea that I can do as many track days I want and have Chevy fix it if I actually manage to break it.

Now... I just have to find one without a moonroof, that nasty wing, and with a limited slip. I also need to find a dealership that'll give me $17k for my Subaru on trade-in.

2. deltarider99

deltarider99 New Member

looks=ugly

3. 1fastz28

1fastz28 OT Supporter

ibcavaliercomments

4. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

:werd:

It's not a pretty car. The STi isn't really pretty either, but I always find myself looking back to admire it when I walk away.

5. yofmatt

yofmatt New Member

lol @ getting 17k

6. yofmatt

yofmatt New Member

it sounds equally fun to drive which is badass :coold:

7. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

I'm cool with any Cavalier that can beat an EVO and an Elise around a race track and maintain an OEM feel.

8. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

To be honest, I think my particular STi might have the "more fun" thing. It feels faster. Hell, the STi feels like a fucking monster in comparison. But, the SS certainly didn't strike me as boring.

9. deltarider99

deltarider99 New Member

welcome to the srt-4 club, pretty sure its gonna be the next new thing, and I hate them

10. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Exactly. Which is why we'll see. I can get $18k easily out of my car if I sold it myself. If they can't approach $17k on trade in I wouldn't bother until I had the car paid off in six months.

11. yofmatt

yofmatt New Member

short gearing can fool you very easily. Ask civic drivers :rofl:

12. squid

squid braap

I'm really impressed with what they squeezed out of that little shitbox. It se a record for fastest front driver around the 'ring ever :eek3:

13. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

I don't make these types of decisions based on how other people feel about it. I buy what I like and what I want to pay for.

14. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

:werd:

But, at the same time it is a lot of fun. The sensation of speed certainly makes a car more fun to drive, and at more sane speeds.

15. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Yeah, and they did it by no small margin either.

16. tarmactrr

tarmactrr New Member

I haven't drove one yet, but agreed with most of what you said about the looks and feel of it.

I'm sure it's a great handling car... just wish it didn't feel like such a shitbox.

17. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Well, it is a *cheap* car that offers the performance of cars that cost $10k+ more. If it didn't feel like such a shitbox and had the same performance it would probably cost as much as the other cars.

18. 1fastz28

1fastz28 OT Supporter

one of the best cars i ever owned was a cavalier

19. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Chevy really has a good car on their hands with this one. It's priced right, and it's fast as hell. If this doesn't get the attention of people looking at WRX's and Mazdaspeed 3's absolutely nothing will. GM hit a home run.

20. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

first, explain to me why youd go from the quality of a wrx to a cobalt. interior quality man. the cobalts interior is fucking ugly and very poorly designed. as an owner of a TA and a cavalier i dont think id buy another GM because of their shitty interiors.

not saying the TA has a shitty interior, but the rear quarters/trunk paneling isnt the best. the front part of the interior is nice, but from the front seats back...

21. 1fastz28

1fastz28 OT Supporter

i dont think i've ever seen one advertised though

22. Benjamin Boss

Benjamin Boss New Member

23. Havsie

Havsie When I die, bury me inside the Pepsi 1893 store OT Supporter

I'm swapping one of those engines into my Catera...either that or an LS6.

24. Jake!

Jake! Guest

i've seen the XFE advertised (37mpg) but never the SS

25. Your interior isnt any better sorry :o

That being said Chevy got it right this time around with the turbo