GUN I went shooting for the first time Thurs... *pics*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HPS, Dec 20, 2003.

1. HPS

HPS I'm not fat, I'm poofy... :fawk:

I have never been to the range or shot a handgun, so these are my first time. Was awesome, and I can't wait to go back. Here are pics of my targets... :) (Glock 17 used)

1st one. This was at about 30yards or so... :dunno:
    [​IMG]

2nd one at about 15-20 yards (closer to 20)... Yes, the head shot was planned. :cool: So was the missed head shot next to it. :doh:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3rd target. Same distance as above...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2003
  2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

why the hell would you shoot from 30 yards :slap:

3. HPS

Cuz I have never been to a range or shooting before, and I just kinda assumed that since thats where it was, thats where I was supposed to shoot. And I really thought I sucks when I brought the target back in lol...
    It's ok, I fixed the problem...

Is 20 yards good? Where do you guys shoot?

BTW, was I an ok shot in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, when it was at 20ish yards? You know, for being my first time. :)

4. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

shoot at 3 yards, 7 yards, 15 yards, shoot some 25 or so yards. Gun fights are going to happen closer than you think.

5. HPS

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Now, could you please stop talking shit about my wife on OT? You don't know her or I, so it's in prestty bad taste... :rolleyes:

6. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Ive only shot 10 rounds through a handgun, (though ive shot thousands through rifles)and it was a single action revolver. Once i get my Sig (almost sure it'll be for xmas), I'll start at 11 yards, then 25, then ill see how I do at 50.

Platinum: 3 yards? do you really need practive for that short a distance?

7. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

For pistol, i spend 99% of my time at contact, 3yd, 7yd, 15yd. i move it back to 25yd and hit the 50yd outdoor enough to maintain proficiency, but i don't concetrate long range too much with a pistol.

8. Redmouse

Redmouse Just looking...

:rofl: I actually agree with that statement...

If your "attacker" jumps at you, it'd most likely be at a short range. And most likely, you won't be prepared for it. So practicing at 3 yards would not be a bad idea. I'm not saying blow all your ammo at 3 yards but vary your distance between that and 25 or so yards. I normally shoot at 7 yards. Any more than that, I'd try to find an escape route...

9. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Ignore him he is a total ass to everyone

10. PonySpanker

PonySpanker New Member

The distance you shoot at the range depends on where you'd most likely need to use the weapon in real life. If you only keep it for home protection and don't ever carry it in public then the max distance at the range should be the longest distance you'd have to shoot inside your home. In my case it is about 10 yards or so from the end of my hallway to the front door. I up this a little and shoot between 12 and 15 yards when I go to the local indoor range. I have to sacrifice a little when I go to the outdoor range and shoot at 7 yards.

If you plan on carrying in public then I would practice at all ranges up to 25 yards or so. If a threat is that far away, you will probably have an avenue of escape that you can take instead of trying to fend off the attacker.

Here is the target from the last time I went to the indoor range. It has around 75 rounds through it. This is the second target so I got bored and started shooting at the head. This is at about 15 yards.
    [​IMG]