I watched Star Trek Nemesis last night...

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Joe_Cool, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I really, really wanted to like this movie. I really tried. The storyline was passable - no worse than 2/3 of the episodes - and there were some really great moments, but overall, as a Star Trek movie, it's a failure.

There were a whole lot of similarities to Star Trek II, which was not a bad thing in itself, but combined with the overall badness of the rest of the movie made it just cheesy. I halfway expected Picard to clench his fist and yell KHAAAAANNNNN!!!!!!!!!...wait, I mean SHINZONNNN!!!!!! And I couldn't help but compare Data's death to Spock's death in the same movie. It wasn't nearly as moving, even though Data was a great character.

I think all the flaws can be attributed to two things: A director who isn't part of Star Trek (Gladiators?! :ugh2: ) and some f-ed up music. The plot holes wouldn't bother me (as a ST fan, I've learned to suspend disbelief and accept plot holes to further the larger story) as much - if at all - if it just felt like a ST movie. And it didn't. The music didn't sound like Star Trek. The cues were all wrong, the feel was all wrong. It sounded like any other big hollywood movie - not a ST movie.

The direction was all wrong. The characters were handled wrong. They did things that didn't make sense, and there was a lot of pointless time filler. And the way they blatantly telegraphed Data's death really took away from the impact it had. Oh, good thing his older retarded brother is filled with all of Data's memories! How convenient!

That said, some things were very cool. I liked the romulan ships showing up to assist the enterprise in their "Internal security" matter. I liked that it was the real Data that was beamed aboard the scimitar. The Picard clone was a good villain, and he played it well, even if the writing wasn't up to scratch and it was telegraphed. And it's nice that Deanna Troi gave the Enterprise some actual advantage in this one, as opposed to her usual useless drivel ("PAIN! AGONY!....Joy! Relief!"). After this, I guess every starfleet ship will have a telepath onboard.

Overall, I give it a 6 out of 10. It was actually enjoyable if you can manage to keep your disbelief suspended.
    As a Star Trek movie, I give it a 4 of 10. I expected a lot more from this movie. Jonathan Frakes should have directed it. He did a fantastic job on First Contact. It's the first even-numbered one that I didn't like, but it's understandable - this is generic Hollywood's idea of Star Trek, not a real one.

2. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

I do like the dark atmosphere that the previous movies tended to lack. I feel showing a more "hard" side to the Fed. is a good way to go.

3. Joe_Cool

I agree with that. My problem isn't the story so much as the fact that it doesn't feel like a star trek movie. I mean the production more than the mood. It was weak in a lot of ways.

And how can Q not appear in a single movie? He started and ended the series. :wtf:

4. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

so far i agree completely with everything that has been said :cool:

First Contact > *

the Enterprise is way badass though, the numerous improvements made were realyl cool, not enough quantum torpedoes though

5. Joe_Cool

The biggest things I thought were weak were:

* The car chase. That was lame and pointless. Though cool to see, it had nothing at all to do with the movie.
    * Trivializing Data's death. He was an awesome character and they wasted him.
    * The scimitar had 54 (or something) phaser banks, and only used 2 of them. They should have been like a Star Destroyer, with guns a-blazing and wreaking havoc. I guess they only had 2 gunners on crew?
    * When Picard walked into the radiation bomb room with Shinzon standing there, my brother and I were saying "Shoot him, it's over. Shoot him, it's over. Shoot him, it's over." There was enough time for Picard to kill him like 15 times, and he just stood there staring and giving them time to attack him. To quote one of the best movies ever made, "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." (The good, the bad, and the ugly)

The best parts:
    * When Riker was remembering the first time he met Data, and Data couldn't whistle the end of the song. Instead of everybody whistling or humming "Pop goes the weasel", he couldn't remember what song it was. That was handled nicely. The other way would have been to heavy handed.
    * Data not bullshitting around. He transported the Captain without asking questions or talking. Then he destroyed the bomb.
    * Data and Geordie outsmarting Shinzon, and sending the real Data with false information.
    * Data's human evolution coming to fruition - what better way to end his journey than sacrificing himself to save his friends? Even though it was almost a direct rip off of Spock's death, it was still a good statement on the character.
    * Deanna finally being useful.

There's more, but I've only seen it once. I'll have to watch a few more times to fully appreciate both the goodness and badness of it. :bigthumb:

Even though it's not classic Trek, I still enjoyed it.

6. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

best battle scene in all of trekdom, it was long, involved, and drawn out

finally got a chance to see how the weapons of trek should really work

also, if you watch star wars, you really only see like the front turbolasers on star destroyers shooting, despite the fact that they have 60 turretts you never see them all shooting at once :greddy:

7. Joe_Cool

I just wanted to bring back my comments because I'm watching Nemesis on cable right now. Overall it was crap, but there was some good stuff too. Even though I don't like it, I don't hate it as much as I want to. :weak:

8. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

I've never seen this movie. I kept waiting to catch it cable. For some reason I never seen it show. Hell, HBO is showing the previous Next Generation all the time (the one with the Borg going back in time).

9. Joe_Cool

The atmosphere is just all wrong. Just now they cut to a scene where Geordi was scanning the area trying to find Shinzon's ship, and the music just sucked.

I expected a voice to cut in and say "Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives."

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  10. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

There are many things that could have been done better.

It was really nice to see Riker and Troi finally get married though.

11. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

ii think it was one of the best trek movies evar. first contact > nemesis > * imo.

12. Joe_Cool

I'm going to have to go ahead and... disagree with you on this. It could have been one of the best trek movies ever, but it missed on too many things. The story was good, but the intangibles were all wrong.

13. baboymo

baboymo Have you been circumcised?

Nemesis could have benefited from several Romulan charcters from The Next Generation. Berman, Spiner, and Logan chose NOT to go in that direction, I thought that would have made the movie TEN times as better.

No Sela. :hs: No Tomalak. :hs: They didn't even return Admiral Jaron's letter (from the TNG's 3rd Season episode The Defector). :hs:

I agree with Joe_Cool because they put WAY too much emphasis on making Nemesis like The Wrath of Khan. Bad idea.

14. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

You know, I thought that Q should have at least made some sort of appearance for those very reasons. As well, Q was always fascinated by Data's quest for humanity. He could have done something - like the final scene, B9 was sitting there - you hear someone talking, Picard walks in and for a brief instant you see Q before he flashes away, and that's when he starts to sing the song Blue Skies.

15. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Should not have been the series death though. We will never get to see Riker in his own command now. I thought one more movie that maybe pit Riker and Picard against each other, even if for a mock battle, would be cool -

16. Cam

Cam New Member

Why would they do that?

17. Joe_Cool

They already did that three times, I think. Once when Picard was a Borg, once when Riker was on the Klingon ship with the First Officer Exchange Program, and once when he was piloting an old federation ship on an exercise.

18. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

best part of the movie was when data looks back at geordi, and geordi kinda gives a nod. he knows he'll never see his friend again. almost brought a tear to my eye.

19. Joe_Cool

I didn't get anything emotional out of Data's death. I thought it was unnecessary and contrived. :hs: The story didn't demand it, and it only happened because the writers said "ok, STII is universally loved, and when Spock died, it made people sad. So we have to find a way to kill Data."

20. Nucleartiger

Nucleartiger Clemson makes my nipples hard

Riker owned him every time!

21. Joe_Cool

:werd: Remember when Picard tried the Picard Maneuver on him, and he slapped it down? :mamoru:

22. mechagrover

mechagrover Trek geek OT Supporter

Mutara Nebula battle > all other Trek battles

[​IMG]

23. Joe_Cool

Wrath of Khan > Nemesis in every possible way.

24. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I liked Nemesis. People who expect the TNG movies to be the same as the TOS movies are totally missing the point of TNG.

Personally, I wish they'd make a DS9 movie, but it's so old now nobody would look the same.

25. Joe_Cool

Who expected it to be like a TOS movie?

The DS9 story ended. It would be dumb to reopen it and contrive a new story.