i was told to learn a scripting language...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Mar 19, 2007.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

yeah i dont know any scripting language. i know PHP, but does that count? iono. anyways i was told to learn one but wtf iono which one i should learn. seems like Ruby is the hotness today, but theres the popular Python, and Perl the duct tape of the internet, and so on...

:dunno: how confusing...

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

ibVBScript ;)

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Ruby is just a fad. Don't bother... It's worthless.

What exactly are you scripting? PHP is popular for web server-side scripting. It can be ugly, but can also be quite elegant if you use it to it's full potential (decent object orentation support, etc) Perl is disgusting as a web server-side, imo. However, it still holds use to me as a console-based scripting language. Python is worthless as a web server-side, imho. I very much dislike it for anything, but it is very common in some big applications, making knowledge of it a necessity.

.Net/JSP are going to be the big ones for enterprise-grade applications.

4. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

:rofl: you just told me:

1) Ruby is a fad, worthless
    2) PHP can be ugly but elegant
    3) Perl is disgusting (I wonder what Peyomp has to say about this ;))
    4) Python is worthless

so technically you more or less hate all scripting languages, cept MAYBE for PHP.

what do i need it for? honestly i dont know yet. at work i was told to read up on some scripting languages, and was also told Python is a good place to start. I know zip about Python and it doesnt interest me much, and that is why I am asking here on what I should start on. i think what they are looking for is something like Perl.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Oh, and Peyomp thinks PHP is worthless, so the only scripting language left is ASP.NET (aka Visual Basic). Problem solved. Cheers!

EDIT: Sorry, I guess there's also JavaScript if you want to have inter-browser compatibility. Probably not a bad idea, all in all.

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

There were/are efforts to do Javascript on the serverside, Livescript from netscape being just one. I think it could be very, very sweet.

7. deusexaethera

He never did say it had to be a server-side language; that just happens to be the popular way to do it right now so people can't copy code. Ironic that you'd be supporting that angle.

Personally, I'd rather run JavaScript on other people's computers than on my server; it reduces the load that my equipment has to support.

8. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

No one mentioned Windows Scripting Host. WSH is native to Windows OS, nothing to install, and it's easy to learn. Based on VBScript or JScript, you get to choose.

The real question is what are you trying to do? So far we have you scripting for web clients, scripting for web servers, writing applications, and whatever else. If you had a goal that would help solve 90% of this.

There are even less popular scripting languages that are specific to a task. Example being KixTart for windows logon scripts. They work pretty good for that kind of work but are shit for anything else, like data manipulation.

9. deusexaethera

Logo is a good task-specific scripting language for drawing box-houses. :rofl:

Seriously though, it's also good for controlling CAD/CAM machinery too.

The guy has a good point. What are you trying to script?

I should really stop doing this already.

10. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i havent been given any specific assignments, but if i had to guess id say it's server-side stuff. probably not full-scale applications, just scripts that help the real apps.
    sorry cant get into too much detail, i myself wasnt given any more detail than that.

11. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

Server side what? Web apps? or just scripts that will run on servers?

12. deusexaethera

Where do the "real apps" run? Doesn't it seem like that would be useful information to have? You need to ask more questions of whomever is giving you this assignment.

13. gnp

gnp New Member

.net is mostly fully compiled (if you consider IL compiled). asp.net is a runtime that works as an isapi extension to iis. you can code in managed c++, c#, vb.net, iron python, anything that will compile to msil.

idk what you plan on doing or what platform you plan on doing it on so it is a little hard to recommend a language....

if you don't have a lot of constraints on what you have to use, give scheme a look.

14. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Learn Perl. It can be very, very ugly and there are certain parts of it that I dislike, but it's incredibly useful in everyday life and will teach you regular expressions, which are invaluable even outside Perl.

15. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

ok well where i work our software is all J2EE with Postgres. at this point i can only assume the Python scripts will be supporting that app, and it's all server side.

16. deusexaethera

To start with, learn Java and JavaScript (apparently they're different languages) if you don't know them already. Past that, what you learn is at least partially dependent on the OS running on the servers, because .NET won't run on Linux or Solaris.

I've used Python a bit to write scripts for a digital-mapping program we use at my office (ArcGIS), and I can safely say I despise it. I really, really like VB-based scripting languages because it's such a flexible and mature language at this point that I can do anything I want with it, but again, whether you can use it depends on whether your servers are running Windows. If they aren't, or if you have a VB phobia, Ruby is probably the next best thing, fad or otherwise.

17. gnp

gnp New Member

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

18. deusexaethera

Huh! Look at that.

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

PHP is not worthless. It just doesn't scale beyond 'Personal Home Pages' worth a shit.

The obvious answer to your question is Perl. But don't take my word for it. Look at how many job listings include Perl. It is the most important skill in IT, in this regard.

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The CPAN makes accomplishing many tasks much, much easier than any other language.

21. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I think I need to brush up on my Perl skills. I haven't touched it since I started working in PHP... years ago. :o

22. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Perl definitely. If you don't know any of the above languages, Perl is the most versatile. You can use it for complex server-side utilities, quick hacks, and even web pages.

As for Python: Whoever thought embedded whitespace should be part of the language should be shot in the liver. 1963 called; they want COBOL back. That said Python is popular in certain development circles (gaming being one of them), so it may be required for certain projects.

Java is not really a scripting language, is it? Javascript obviously is, and can be very useful. AJAX is a hot term these days. Some dynamic stuff can only be done if Javascript is on your team.

Ruby is only hot because of Ruby on Rails, and that's not a good place to start. Look it up down the road if it's still useful and popular and you actually know another scripting language.

Once you learn one language, it's relatively easy to learn others. Loops, variables, functions.. those are all standard ideas you will use forever, until we get artificially intelligent programs that do our shit for us.

23. Penguin Man

I really like the idea of CPAN, but using it can be a real bitch. If you have root access and want to install stuff into the standard location that Perl likes, then it's all fine and good. But, if you want to have it install things somewhere other than where it likes to install things (into your home directory, or into a sub-directory of /usr/local/stow, for use with stow, for example) then it can be a fucking pain. Most of the time, I end up just downloading the .pm file and putting it into the same directory as my script, but that doesn't always work if it needs fancy compiled modules or something.

24. Penguin Man

Yes, I was going to say this. Stupidest fucking idea ever. It's my goddamned code, let me decide how it looks.

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

CPAN just needs to be told during setup to use your home directory. I've never had problems with it, and i can't imagine why anyone would want to manually download all the dependencies you run into.