SRS i was reading about asperger's syndrome

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by limsoup, Jul 25, 2007.

1. limsoup

limsoup OT Supporter

and i'm wondering if i have it :noes:

my social interaction, once i'm comfortable, is normal ish... but i dont' really pay attention to what i say, it just sort of comes out. it's not even really my thoughts, to an extent. i'll be saying somethign and realize, oh damn i don't even really think that. or sometimes do things that are just social norms out of reflex, and not notice if i get something wrong. like i'll often respond just based on tone, or when something is said rather than what is actually said. and last of all, I am usually thoroughly incapable of telling what people are trying to communicate, especially nonverbally.

on some level, i suppose it would be nice to have an excuse for being awkward or having what I see as just an inability to relate to other people in a normal way, besides just plain-old-awkwardkness or plain-old-being-a-loser :hs: but then again, I don't know anybody that I know has asperger's, but maybe OT does?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

2. kiri

kiri New Member

:wavey: you don't have it, trust me. i spent 2 summers working at UMACC (UM autism and communication disorders center) and spending time with people who had autism, asperger's, and FAS. it's much more than just communicating without thinking first or otherwise being impulsive. someone with asperger's is someone who you would notice something distinctly "weird" about. like you probably wouldn't be able to "connect" during a conversation (a REAL conversation... if you asked them where the bathroom was and they answered you probably wouldn't notice anything odd). i don't think you're any more awkward than the rest of us... i do think that sometimes you speak without thinking first :o but there's nothing wrong with that!

3. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

It's what OT does best. If that's all that Asperger's syndrome was then this would probably be the largest online community of Asperger's sufferers. :mamoru:

4. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

You are doing what every person who studies psychology, sociology, or the like do. When they here of a new disease or anything, the first thing they think is, Do I have it?

It's why the ADD ads are so successful. No one knows what ADD is, and with their lack of knowledge and broad symptom range, ADD was able to become a very over-prescribed "illness."

You don't have it.

5. limsoup

limsoup OT Supporter

:wavey: thanks guys, it's nice to actually hear about what its like from people who've seen it than to try and figure anything out from some articles lol.

i initially got worried because when I was younger i was socially, uh i guess much more inept. my parents mentioned that when I was little I just didn't talk or interact like other kids, and they were about to try and get me into special ed.
    at first when I heard this I was i was all :noes: but then i realized it was probably just a language gap, since I didn't learn english as my first language.

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:rofl: you don't have it.

7. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

Asperger's is threatening to become the new ADD in that it isn't Autism, but since most people feel socially awkward at times and have hobbies that they care about, they feel that they can relate.

8. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

Technically it is autism. Aspergers sufferers are basically high functioning autistics.

9. whatever

whatever OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl: They have a term for that that escapes me right now.

The mere fact you are sitting here saying I think i have AS tells me you most likely dont. :hs:

10. whatever

whatever OT Supporter

much like savants...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Peek
    :bowdown::bowdown: truely awesome in how he overcame his savant condition to become more... social?..

11. limsoup

limsoup OT Supporter

it's autism spectrum

12. limsoup

limsoup OT Supporter

hypochondria? lol i'm not a hypochondriac. i just noticed while reading about it that I had in the past noticed all the "symptoms". apparently though it's not that subtle if it's actual asperger's, me or my parents or somebody would have noticed something was up.

looks like i'm just a run-of-the-mill loser :p

13. whatever

whatever OT Supporter

no no its not that. basicly in medical classes students will learn about conditions and relate then suspect they have the condition they are learning about..