I was looking at getting this raid card....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bencorn, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

and I was wondering if it would work for an eight 1tb drive setup to allow me to have a 7tb raid 5 (minus whatever for the 1000/1024 GB bullshit)? It is an external raid but I was probably going to just route the cables back into the case until I can get a rack setup. Is this what I'm looking for? Advise please. I'm not looking for speed and performance, just a way to have security on my media. Right now I have 2 raid 5's with a total of 11 drives, I'd like to get more space with less drives and since TB drives are dropping like crazy lately I'd like to get rid of my all my 400's and some of my 750's in exchange for TB or 1.5TB drives. Thanks. Link to card below.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/Controllers/Hardware/sata/value/SAS-3085/

2. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

I'd rely on software raid. but I'm a cheap mofo.

3. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Anyone else?

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

5. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

6. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

So you know, those external ports are meant to connect to a JBOD controller. I don't know if they would work just using a SAS expander and strait to the drives, have never thought of doing it.

And FYI, the 1TB are dropping because the 2TB enterprise drives are coming up soon... then comes the 4TBs

7. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

2TB and 4TB drives are going to be glorious. Interesting thought, will you HAVE to have a 64bit os to access all 4tb of a 4tb drive when they come out? Or will you have to split it in half to use it on 32 bit?

8. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

no. to access more then 138GB you needed 48bit LBA, which is kind of like the move from ipv4 with 32 bit ip addresses to ipv6 with 64 bit addresses. also. every intel processor since the pentium pro in 1995 has been able to address 64GB of ram.

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

he's talking about the 2TB volume partition limit, not ram

10. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

no, it doesn't matter which OS

the 2TB barrier is because of the MBR partition
    you only need to convert MBR to GPT to access 2TB+
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773223.aspx

11. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

I know, that's why I was talking about the 137GB 32bit lba barrier.
    and for more then 2TB I think you need to format the drive with GPT. my point WRT ram was just an aside.
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT-on-x64.mspx
    looks like if you want to boot off a GPT drive you have to either have new world mac, an ultrasparc, an alpha that runs openfirmware, a mips box that runs openfirmware, or an x86 with efi...

now pretty much all of those have been obsolete for years except the ultrasparc, and the itanium. you may be able to get something working with an ibm power system.

so you need an x86 with efi...

I'm pretty sure either supermicro or tyan has them, intel might, but the one place I know you can get that... the apple mac pro.

anyway, I haven't run into it yet. efi motherboards may be more common then I think and if your boot drive is less then 2TB you don't even need it.