MMA I was just sitting back thinking about the whole landscape of MMA and how it has ....

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by SCirone, Jun 23, 2007.

1. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

.... changed recenly. Just 6 months ago, we were watching the same champions defend their belts on cards with one or maybe two good fights. Now there isnt a single champion that has defended his belt once and the cards are just starting to be amazing. There pretty much arent anymore speculation about how one fighter would do against another fighter in a seperate org. (except for a few instances.) It is just kind of mind blowing how seemingly overnight MMA can go from a niché sport to being discussed on the freaking TV Guide channel

2. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

Agreed. The sport has blown up in the past year or so. There is almost always some sort of MMA event on tv at any given time.

3. ElectricJW

ElectricJW We are all ONE!

I see Dana and the UFC putting a lot of money out there to the media outlets to promote it, and its working. I just wish they would get Fedor, and W. Silva

4. gtpjim

gtpjim New Member

the fuck?

5. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

:rofl:

If only they got Cro Cop in the cage too, that would be the tops!

6. Kuet

Kuet New Member

404 sarcasm not found.

7. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

i miss PRIDE...i just dont get very excited nowadays over these watered down UFC cards every other week

8. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I miss pride as well, but lets not forget how terrible Pride cards were for a long time. The last great pride card was Final Conflict Absolute. and before that good cards were scarce for a while.

9. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

i didn't think PRIDE put out very many bad cards...all the tournament cards were good...even the opening rounds because there were so many dam fights and some good ones....all the bushido's were good...the only ones that weren't that great were the numbered PRIDE cards they put in between tournaments like PRIDE 29 or 31, 34

I like that PRIDE goes above and beyond what they need to to make a good card...13 fight bushido cards when they could have gotten away with a lot of less fights...most of those were good fights too...fedor vs crocop + MW tourney semi-finals and finals fights card...etc

10. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

coudlnt agree more. all of the bushidos were great, all tourneys were great, but just about all of the regular numbered cards were awful/on par with shitty UFC cards.

11. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I miss the GLORY days of PRIDE... Last year/first part of this year's PRIDE wasn't the best other than the GP (and possibly Bushido which I didn't watch)....

12. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

As tough as it is on the fighters, bring on the tournaments.

It might be better if they only have to fight once a night, and have a round of the tournament every week, then a week's break before the final.

I've done some thinking about possible over-saturation of the sport, but I love the sport so much I'd love if there was at least 1 major card every week.

The bigger problem is the talent pool. It needs to be deeper, and there needs to be superstars rising to be elite to replace the older guys. It's up to the UFC and others to find these guys.

13. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Well, I'm sure once it reaches a wider audience, more people will WANT to become a UFC fighter... or at least a fighter of some sorts.

Prodigies will arise >.<

14. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

you know what I thought was funny today, How just a few months back everyone was all excited about Herring coming over to the UFC and how he was going to help the HW division be a little thicker.

Wow, I cant believe people were ever excitied about brigning him in, but it also shows the massive shift that HW division has made in such a short time.

15. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

His first UFC fight that he was back for was the most embarrasing thing I've seen happen in the cage. He was talked up to be this super badass, comes out there with his head looking like he dunked it in a bucket of douchebaggery, and then gets beat for 3 rounds while he does nothing. I can't help but feel bad for the guy.

16. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

ehhh, he was always mediocre at best, poitn was that his mediocroity looked like contender material against the UFC HW divison at that point in time.