SRS I was caught shoplifting today, help! (anonymous thread)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Darketernal, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I was caught shoplifting today, I feel stupid and regret it and i am making certain that i will never steal again.

the total came out to be around $45

background on me, i'm a college student in california, 20 years old, pretty broke, i have a clean record with the exception of a minor driving ticket from a few years back.

What do I do?

I called a local attorney but they told me to call back tuesday morning, and i am trying to get some reading done but i cant get my mind off of this.

i was already pretty distraught about how i am going to come up with money to pay both the retail store fine, AND the court fees/fines, but then i realized i have bigger things to worry about like my criminal record...

help!!

2. idonotwantthis

idonotwantthis Active Member

try to get an attorney to get it reduced to trespassing or anything but retail theft. shouldn't be too difficult if you have a good attorney and its ur first infraction. keeping this off ur record, even if it costs 1-2k, is probably worth it in the long run.

3. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Pay your fines, don't do it again. Why would you get an attorney? That will end up costing you more than the fines will. And what's there to argue? You got caught shoplifting (by your own admission).

There are always consequences for our actions. You made a choice, you are going to have to live with the consequences. I don't think there is any way you can undo it or have it "taken back".

4. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

You'll be perfectly ok. They are reasonable when someone makes these choices. Express regret and remorse, and ask if there is a way you can please the court to pay the bills in a structured way that doesn't impair your ability to actually succeed in doing it.

Tell them, you're willing to accept whatever consequences are given. Apologize for what you did -- to the store, and to the court for taking up precious time that they need to be spending on other cases.

You'd be surprised that they'll probably go easier on you. They don't want to crucify a young guy who really is trying to learn about himself and the way his choices affect others when he falls short.

Even if you hadn't been caught, the consequences though not self evident to you or even obvious will in-fact affect you in profound ways. So beware of that when you attempt to do things that serve you or don't.

A general golden rule I've found that is applicable around the world is "Do unto others as you'd like them to do unto you." Treat others with respect, regardless of whether they give it to you. Don't steal other people's posessions, regardless of if they steal from you.

The philosophy of this becomes very clear. It is your attitude and way of seeing things that dictates how successful, happy or at peace by abiding by your own rule. Even if others fail, you will always feel encouraged and good about yourself for being responsible to your own standards of conduct.

You can even say that in court. In the end, my words should be consumed in your mind and last a lifetime. If they don't, you'll be unhappy for quite awhile until you do let it sink in.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Yes I understand that there are consequences for my actions and I am ready to face them.

community service, probabtion, fat fines, i'm ready to do all of that.

What i don't want is a misdemeanor on my record.

Talked to an attorney this morning over the phone, he said theres a lot of wiggle room for me to get a diversion or some other things i forgot exactly what. He also told me that his law firm charges a flat fee of $3500 :wtc:

What do you guys think my chances are of not getting it on my record is w/out a private attorney?

i don't really care if i get an infraction and that goes on my record cause honestly, i've learned my lesson

and thanks metallic blue, your post was really deep, so are most of your other posts :bowdown:

6. Kafka

Kafka New Member

if you're a student you'll likely be eligible for some legal aid.

have you called some legal aid clinics?

in the clinic i worked for, our primary clients were either below poverty line or students.

and a lot of the cases i actually did work on were first time shoplifting offenses from kids acting stupid and assault offenses from kids getting too drunk at the club.

the caseworkers and attorneys there can definitely help you with not having that show on your record since that's probably the biggest concern for a lot of bad babbies like yourself. :nono:

don't know where you are in california, but googling LAFLA would be a great start.

but the best advice i could give is next time take a step back and think of the consequences of your actions, especially at 20 where there's probably not much you've accomplished yet that could outweigh a misdemeanor conviction, especially one for a morally culpable crime.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

8. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

MAKE SURE YOU GET IT OFF YOUR RECORD NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT COSTS: It will cost you more in the long run, as it may push a prospective future employer to take someone else instead.

9. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I've had my fair share of trouble with the law, most people don't seem to realize that whatever you are charged with will almost always be dropped to a lesser charge in a plea bargain, especially if you get a lawyer (doesn't need to be Johnny Cochran or anything, just about any lawyer other than a public defender makes a huge difference, and even the PD can manage some kind of plea deal). I was hit with 3 felony possession charges (weed shrooms and paraphenelia), and my lawyer (only about $2000 for me) got me a deal to plead guilty to a single count of misdemeanor possession of paraphenelia and they dropped all other charges. There's even the possibility of a continuation without a finding, in which they agree to drop all charges if you go a specified period (usually around a year) without getting in any more trouble with the law. However, I'm not sure how differently the courts will treat cases involving stealing compared to drug possession.

In short, talk to a lawyer, and don't steal again.

10. Sooka

Sooka New Member

This is your first offense and a misdemeanor. Whether you pay for a lawyer or get a public defender you'll most likely end up with minor probation and withheld judicary so it won't be on your record once you complete probation. It also obviously depends on what state you live in but if you're extremely worried about it then get a lawyer and you'll be fine. If you don't have enough money for a lawyer then go with the public defender and you'll most likely still get a slap on the wrist. Don't worry about it too much, I have a few things on my criminal record, one of which is way worse than your charge, and so far whether I lied or told the truth on my background check I've never been declined a job because of it, even when I applied for an FL security license to work for a security company I put down my criminal history, send all my court records, and still got the license and the job.

11. Car1

Car1 New Member

Get an attorney. Anything less is rolling the dice.

12. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

I don't know if it works in the states, but can you get character witnesses to say you are a good citizen and ask you don't get it recorded?

13. Kev07

Kev07 New Member

i have never heard of this in the states :o

14. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Did the same thing when I was drunk at a grocery store my freshman year. Stole some Red Bull, got caught, settled for like $100 and I've never heard about it again.

It's humiliating, but that's part of the process. You won't do it again. Get in contact with the head offices and ask that no charges be filed and that you're willing to settle for a couple hundred bucks or something. :dunno:

15. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

On your first court date, you SHOULD ask for a public attorney.

Because you have a clean record, you should be able to ask for a reduce sentence or even have it dismissed as long as you don't do it again for a year (the stipulation with it being dismissed if you don't do again for one year is that if you do do it again in the year, you will get charged with the current theft and the previous theft).

There are usually things like "Prayer for Judgement" in other states, but it is generally called something else. I know that one is unique to NC/SC, and is the only one I can remember for the moment.

16. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

the fines and the attorney fees are not the issue here

the issue is your criminal record and how it will affect your future employmeny

you must do everything possible to ensure you keep this off your record. the fact is that in most cases the local authorities are happy to collect fines and keep misdemenors off your record

work out a deal. my wife had a misdemenor and as part of the deal we were able to have it expunged after 6 months

17. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Your infraction isn't that serious, and your record is clean. You'll be fine. Since you're a poor student talk to the Public Defenders office.

18. tan koi

tan koi Guest

tried it with a soldier i took to court, i basically got told to piss off

might be different elsewhere though