I want to upgrade

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Phazel, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Phazel

Phazel Active Member

I just wanted some ideas of what you guys think would be a nice add-on or upgrade to my system. I have been in the mood to upgrade again, just wanted a few ideas.I already have a nice case and monitor.

Specs:
    Processor:
    Athlon 64 3500+
    Operating System:
    Windows xp home sp2
    Mobo:
    Asus A8V Deluxe
    RAM:
    1024 PQI Turbo ddr400 pc3200
    Video:
    BFG 6800GT OC
    Storage:
    WD 250gb/ wd 80gb
    Audio:
    Audigy 2

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

personally i'd get a nforce chipset board.

3. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

I second this.

4. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

I triple this.

You should also invest in Corsair RAM, I've never really heard great things about PQI's longitivity...

Initially they are stable, though. I'm using Infineon RAM I got from a buddy and it's very good. It was from his old HP - I paid $50 for a quality PC3200 dual channel kit!

Word.

Oh yes, and Creative Labs is Satan. With Creative, you pay a huge premium for inferior audio quality, and horrid drivers. Invest in an M-Audio, or a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. I use the Santa Cruz personally, and it's Crystal SoundFusion chipset kicks the shit out of the Audigy 2 ZS for the money. Turtle Beach also puts better MIDI chips on their cards, and the Turtle Beach MIDI chip on this thing IS AMAZING. It's very, VERY deep, rich and realistic. For composing music, this card is the best deal around.

In fact, it does just about everything well, including mixing. It also has a nice feature called the VersaJack that can be anything you want it to, and can be changed via a drop down menu. It can be anything from an extra headphone jack, to digital in and out, or analog in and out.

The drivers are also the most stable I've ever used, as well as the greatest. The card's 3D Stereo Enhancement also knocks the socks off the Audigy's, and that feature doesn't even need a 3D API to run! Just running from wave out can give you amazing, uncolored, 3D positional audio to die for.

It's Sensaura 3D positional technology gives me a HUGE edge in games such as UT2004, CS:S, HL2:big grin:M, and FreeSpace 2. I can hear where my enemies are to the point where I can aim at them without using vision. If you use A3D support, it's twice as good as that.

Half-Life 2 floored me when I heard how real Kleiner's lab sounded on this card. It's a treat for the ears.

Even though it's 16-bit/48KHz, it sounds just as good as the Audigy 2 ZS' 24-bit/96KHz DSP, because the Turtle Beach's SoundFusion chipset was way ahead of it's time.

The Santa Cruz was released back in 2000 to rave reviews, which it still recieves today. It's one of the few cards that hasn't lost it's punch over four or so years, and is a great card for any user to buy - be it a casual user or a hardcore audiophile. It's a versatile card, I absolutely love it.

This is the Santa Cruz:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-118-102&depa=0

It's new MSRP is $39.99, so Newegg should discount it very soon. I got mine retail boxed for $30 from another site.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2005
  5. Phazel

Phazel Active Member

I think my ram is plenty good if not better than Corsair, I have read plenty on it and have not heard anything bad. It is really high quality ram, and I am more than happy with it. I doubt Corsair ram would give me an performance gain. Maybe their older ram wasn't that great, not sure. As for the sound card, I have had not one driver problem and in your post you say "Even though it's 16-bit/48KHz, it sounds just as good as the Audigy 2. " So I see no reason to downgrade or upgrade, which ever you want to call it. Thanks for the reply though, I took it in to consideration. Any other suggestions are welcome.

My ram

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-194&depa=0

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

yes stick with the PQI, tccd is the shit. and the PQI turbo's are built on damn good PCB boards.

7. Phazel

Phazel Active Member

:werd: :coold: