I want to upgrade to windows vista 64bit.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Accido, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Accido

Accido New Member

Good or bad Idea? pretty much all my hardware passed the vista ready test, and I looked for 64bit drivers of all my core hardware. Motherboard and processor say 64bit ready. Sound card and video card to.

Any real reason not to? :dunno:

2. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

First of all, why do you WANT to move to 64 bit?

3. Accido

Accido New Member

why NOT is what I'm saying. All my hardware says right on the boxes 64bit ready. Plus windows vista ultimate comes with a 64bit dvd and a 32bit dvd. If the 64bit install doesn't work out I could always go back to 32. Can't see I'll really have a problem, unless someone here knows something I don't, which is a very good, very real, possibility.

4. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

All I'm saying is, if it isn't broke, don't try and fix it.

Assuming there isn't a limitation to your current OS (such as you have 4Gb of RAM), I probably wouldn't bother.

I have Vista 64, and despite what people say it can still be buggy. There are still some driver issues. I probably wouldn't move from XP to Vista 64 unless I had a good reason to do so.

Also your hardware may support 64 bit, but most programs don't.

5. dom

dom New Member

i'm in the same boat
    one reason is that,

FOR EXAMPLE and topically at that, crysis is meant to run up to 10-15% better on 64bit,

according to the crytek bloke anywya

6. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

What's the rest of your system like?

7. Chris

Chris New Member

I have Vista Ultimate 32 bit, works for me

8. Accido

Accido New Member

Yeah I also have 4gigs of ram which only shows up as 3.25. :-\

9. Chris

Chris New Member

My 4 gigs shows up as 3.58, but whatever

10. ConCord421

ConCord421 New Member

vista ultimate 32bit is plenty good, i installed 64-bit and had numerous driver/software issues, moved to 32bit after 6 hours.

11. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

me 2. fuck all the vista haters. i love vista i think im going to upgrade to 8 gigs of ram though

12. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

vista ultimate comes with both the 32bit and 64bit only if you buy the retail version, if it's an OEM, then it's one or the other.

If it's new hardware, you should be fine with 64bit, but on older hardware, make sure you can find drivers for sound cards, NICs, keyboards and mice as well as external devices like printers and scanners.

13. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

most of your programs will run in 32 bit mode anyways...so i wouldn't bother, unless you throw it on a seperate drive/partition to mess around with

14. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I ordered a HP tx1000z Tablet PC and it came preloaded with Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Works great for me. No driver issues, no software issues, nothing. It has yet to blue screen or even lock up. Sometimes it loads or shuts down a little slow, but I don't really care that much. I have Office 2007, Roxio 10 and a few other apps on it and they all run great. Going to put Photoshop on soon.

Specs:
    AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 1.9GHz
    2GB DDR2
    GeForce Go 6150

I know it won't do DX10, but it won't need to. Its going to be my school computer.

15. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

I had Vista HP and my 4GB shoed up as 3.25 and I upgraded to Vista Ultimate 64-bit and I have no regrets, everything runs just the same if not a lil better because of the increase in the ram.

16. Accido

Accido New Member

I just installed a 64 bit version of vista on one of my harddrives. Everything works great except my sound card. :dunno: Sound card is a year old so maybe it's time for a new one anyway

17. Brandon

Brandon New Member

Fuck Vista .... SLOW. I'd rather use alot less RAM and have a faster running speed than throw GBs of RAM only to make it almost the same.

Any new laptops we order here at work, we demand the XP "downgrade" CD.

XP > Vista

18. devguru616

devguru616 New Member

I use Vista Ultimate 64bit.

If it wasn't such a hassle I would go back to XP Pro, just too lazy. I plan on seeing how the first service pack helps:noes:, as far as why, complete lockups every 2-3 days. Random reboots out of no where. This is from my video cards(duel 8800GTXs). All latest drivers, etc, etc.

Also it is resource hog. Slows for no reason at some times, running a Quad core exteme 2.66(clocked at 3.2, water cooled, etc,etc) and 4 gigs of ram.

idk, it won't hurt to try it, you can always go back.

19. Bitter Moose

Bitter Moose OT Supporter

I'd recommend 32-bit Vista over 64-bit. I built a new pc about 2 months ago (q6600, 8800Ultra, 4GB RAM etc.) and 64-bit Vista didn't do it for me. The 64-bit has problems with software that the 32-bit does not. For example, you still can't burn a cd in iTunes on 64-bit Vista. When CSS wouldn't stop crashing I gave up on Vista and switched back to XP. 3.328MB of RAM and all. It's been much more pleasant. Just run XP with WindowsBlinds, you're really not missing anything.

20. dom

dom New Member

yougamers.com did a little comparison between 32bit and 64bit OS versions on crysis demo and there seemed no advantage, infact 32 had the advantage.

21. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

I have none of these problems that are mentioned... Everything in Vista Ultimate 64bit works for me. but then I tryed XP Pro on MULTIPLE occations and that was buggy as all hell... would randomly restart, sound would cut in and out (same PC too) and took 10 minutes to load up... Vista is up and running in 1 minute, Never restarts on me (unless I tell it to) and sound stays working.

I am sticking with it.

22. Brandon

Brandon New Member

I've had those problems before ... but it was always hardware related, not software. The old Tyan Tiger board had a horrible restart problem with XP. They had a bug fix out but I had already trashed the board.

23. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

I reinstalled Win2kPro on the old machine I tryed XP on, and it worked 100% no problems. never had luck with XP, even here at work the PC is crap...

24. Accido

Accido New Member

I've been using windows vista ultimate64 for 2 days now. I got the sound card working perfeclty, and though I may be cursing myself saying this, I've got abosultely no problems so far. Everything seems to run faster in fact. dunno. There's a 32 bit emulation programs which runs all 32bit programs flawlessly for me. :dunno:

25. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

Yep, sounds pretty much how mine is right now.

see my 32-bit version would not play BF2142 where as my 64-bit version does, and when I installed it, it told me this was not tested with 64-bit installations with windows and most likly will not work... :mamoru: