GUN I want to start reloading.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Cable Guy, May 13, 2009.

1. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Something to pass the time, doesn't have to be super extensive, maybe up to 500rds a week or so. Single stage okay? besides that, that else would I need? A tumbler? I'll be loading .223.

Do I need a scale, sizer, what else? FUCK.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

500 rounds a week calls for progressive easily.

(omgz look what soy posted)

3. There's a lot you need, especially for rifle.

Dies
    Tumbler
    Press
    Scale
    Priming system
    Calipers
    Cartridge gauge is a good idea
    Case lube
    Powder dispenser
    Case trimmer

That'll get you started towards making bulk ammo.

4. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

With prepared brass, aka, sized, primed, trimmed... I load about 200 rounds in three hours on a single stage, with crimping.

I personally prefer to had a progressive press now, but i thought learning on a single stage was the right choice.

5. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

How much will all this run me? Does not have to be top of the line, just starter equipment.

6. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

How do you meter and charge? Do you do all 200 at once or in batches? I feel like I'm a little faster than that using dippers but I've never really put a clock to it :big grin:

500 rounds a week would be like taking up a part time job :rofl:

As far as pricing, midwayusa.com have fun.

8. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Fixed it for you

9. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

I meter and charge using a RCBS powder thrower. I bought the $300 RCBS rock chucker kit.

I charge in batches of 100 and then seat the bullets. I measure the powder thrower every 10 rounds to be sure everything is going well. A powder baffle helped increase consistency significantly.

Reloading is pretty much a part time job for me. I'm time rich, money poor.

10. I'd budget at least $400 for the stuff, though you'd likely spend more.

11. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

12. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

before you going and buying all the equipment all at once and get completely setup, I'd make sure you can get the components you need, brass is easy (whatever you fire and pickup at the range), bullets can be found from time to time, powder still has some availability, but primers . . . .

13. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

think very carefully about reloading .223

In fact, just don't do it. Semiauto rifle cartridges are just not worth it. 1 case failure can mean losing an eye or face. Some brass will go 5-6 reloads and some will go 1. There's a huge thread on this over at arfcom, probably several.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

What is this nonsense now?

15. fatmoocow

you fuckers are going to make me look it up :mad:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=440162

http://www.fulton-armory.com/ReloadingThoughts.htm

cliffs is that in a semi auto rifle your risk of catastrophic failure during an out of battery firing is much higher. The risk of out of battery firing is much higher with reloads and with semi autos (brass/primers/feed-ramps/fast moving parts, etc)

16. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Has anyone actually lost an eye from a blown up AR-15 etc? 50k psi may sound alot until you're dealing with metal

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I might be missing it but I don't see anything beyond a bunch of anecdotes about personal fuck ups, nothing that is due to it being a rifle. Reloading, whether for a handgun or rifle, means you take responsibility for your safety into your own hands more than with commercial ammo. If you aren't ready for that sort of commitment then no you shouldn't reload but it doesn't indicate that rifle reloads are inherently dangerous.

18. :werd:

A couple of anecdotes out of the countless people that reload is pretty much meaningless. There's just a bunch of personal opinion presented as "fact" in that thread. Some of the things listed as "facts" there aren't even complete sentences. And the one about the primers has nothing to do with rifle reloading specifically, nor does it mention what the idiot did to make all the primers go off.

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I shoot and load a lot of 223. I just ran a batch of 2000 75gr prvi hpbt w/ 24gr AA2520. Right now with reduced shooting because of primer situation is about a 2 month supply.

First if learning to reload it is more difficult to learn loading a necked rifle round. Strait wall pistol would be my recomendation for a new reloader. Loading rifle just has so many steps.

If your running a single stage I don't see how your going to be doing a lot of shooting but my idea of a lot of shooting is different then others. Of course if your buying new primed brass it would be easier and faster but then you almost might as well be buying loaded ammo as far as price is concerned (though you could make superior ammo).

As far as cheap there is not cheap in a rifle reloading set up if your doing the entire process. You can get the simplest of stuff and still be in the $400 - $500 range.

Of course a good set up is easily 2K

20. no7fish

no7fish New Member

that. ^^

21. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

LOL LOOK AT ALL THESE STORIES I HEARD SOMEONES FRIEND TELL! THEY KNOW A GUY THAT KNEW A GUY THAT BLEW OFF HIS ARM!

22. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

dillon 1050 or bust

23. djbomberto

djbomberto OT Supporter

hrum...I've been wondering about this for a while....someone post a "list" of equipment you will need to start :x:

24. I did, post #3 here. If you want specific recommendations, you'll have to tell us what cartridge you want to load, what volume of reloading you want to do, what type of ammo you want (match ammo, plinking ammo, etc...) and what your budget is.

25. fatmoocow

The point of all this is that you're chances of a mega blowout are X with factory ammo say 1/100,000. You're chances of a mega blowout with reloaded ammo may be 100 times that simply because you're using reloaded brass. You need to be aware of this.

This assumes you're intelligent, paying attention, and don't make mistakes. Add being a retard into the equation (which most people are) and your chances are even worse.

What's the first question everyone asks when you see a gun in 10 pieces? Reload?